Scubapro Seawing Nova Q

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Posted some Q's here after last dive tripo, as I need to invest in new fins ( http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fi...-damaged-knee-spilt-post6931810.html#poststop )

Lots of reasons to get the Seawing Nova.
I didn't realise until I started looking for best price is that there is also Seawing Nova Gorilla

Googling advises that these are stiffer material aimed at instructors who need to fin every day, which may be all I need to prevent me buying them.

Just wanted to know if anybody has compared NOVA to NOVA Gorilla side by side ?

I would really like to know also, I have my eyes set on either one of these also

I have owned both. For me, Flutter kicking in the Novas was noticeably easier and faster than the Gorillas. The Novas are positively buoyant and gave me floaty feet. I predominantly frog kick and the Gorillas being stiffer were much better than the Novas. Both are very comfortable fins. Where I dive locally there is a lot of discarded fishing line and after being caught up a couple of times I have now retired the Gorillas. I sold the Novas.

---------- Post added April 7th, 2014 at 09:58 PM ----------

Which ever ones you buy make sure you buy version 2, not sure about the States but over here both versions are being sold.

Last edited:
Posted some Q's here after last dive tripo, as I need to invest in new fins ( http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fi...-damaged-knee-spilt-post6931810.html#poststop )

Lots of reasons to get the Seawing Nova.
I didn't realise until I started looking for best price is that there is also Seawing Nova Gorilla

Googling advises that these are stiffer material aimed at instructors who need to fin every day, which may be all I need to prevent me buying them.

Just wanted to know if anybody has compared NOVA to NOVA Gorilla side by side ?

I have both as well as a few other sets of fins and each of them have their own application. The Nova's are my warm water vacation go to fin. They flutter kick like there is nothing there but give you great propulsion, and I do not ever remember getting a cramp while using them. If I am not careful I end up out swimming my buddy. The Gorilla's yes are stiffer and are more work. I don't like them as much as the novas but when I need something more for a current fight then I would go Gorilla. For frog kick or a work fin I like the Hollis F1's but that is not what you are asking. If I wanted an easy finning fin then I would go to the Nova. SP does a great job with the warranty with 100 % replacement just make sure you save your receipt. SP replaced my original novas after 125 dives and a developing crack.

I would buy them again no problem, get ready they still meet some odd looks on the dive boat but that's mostly from folks that have not tried them

Thanks as mentioned it is a damaged knee is causing me to consider something other than my aged Avanti Quattro's, and many have said Seawing Nova are a big help.

I am also looking for high-propulsion fins - but seeing that the Nova-s are fragile I have to reconsider... On a week-long liveaboard
the last thing I want is to break a fin. Any suggestions for alternatives? Light weight is an advantage, flying with strict weight limits.

I have full foot seawing novas. So far have only done about 15 dives in them but found that they gave me excellent propulsion doing flutter kick, notwithstanding my short, under-powered legs. A couple of good kicks and I was flying through the water. Very good return for effort, so much so that several times I ended up moving faster than intended (novel experience for me!).

It did take a couple of dives to get used to them and I still need to work on refining the frog kick, which seems to require a slightly different technique than "normal fins" (I was almost getting it when my dive trip ended)

Can't compare them to Gorillas as I've never used those, but for me personally anything stiffer than the regular novas would require more muscle power than I possess.

Back
Top Bottom