Do I Really Need a Prescription Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
Earlier this year I was looking at ordering a prescription mask. Well after doing more research and getting my eyes checked (new prescription) I'm not sure I need one....

My new prescription is: Right(OD) Sphere = -1.0 and Cylinder = -1.0 Left (OS) Sphere = -1.75 and Cylinder = -1.0

I was looking at the standard lenses that are offered by the manufacturers that replace the existing mask lens and it seems most start at a -1.5 diopter. I could go with a custom prescription mask but I'm not sure the benefit gained would be justified. Did I just save myself $200???
04.gif

I thought I read somewhere that underwater vision is corrected by about 1 diopter.

I looked into prescription masks last year and came to the conclusion that I'd continue to wear contact lenses! I have a funny shaped nose and masks with 2 separate lenses hurt my nose so a prescription mask was out of the question. I think one of the main problems with prescription masks is the field of view that you have with them. Its apparently much lower than a standard mask. I decided that I could see enough with my current prescription even if I lost a lens. My prescription is similar to yours and I wear contact lenses that I leave in for a month at a time, no poking yourself in the eye twice daily!

This is inreresting to me - So you are able to leave the contacts in place after a dive when you've cleared a flooded mask underwater? Isnt there a risk of infection? Doesnt the contact lens get displaced by water or current or splashing?

My number is only -1 and a prescription mask isnt worth the cost. But contacts look like an easy option if I can trust your experience. I have never worn contacts because of a fear of infection, perhaps I should reconsider...

What kind of contacts would you recommend for scuba?

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~G0bble
Sent from mobile, please excuse brevity and typos.

I've worn contacts for many years and have dove in them for 10 years. I have done drills (to include mask removal in cave training) and I fill and clear my mask often. At times, I actually leave a bit of water in my mask just to swish it around to keep the fogging down. I have been kicked a few times that loosen the mask. I have never had an infection problem and never lost one.

FWIW
I wear the soft type of lens that are usually about two week replaceable. I dive mostly fresh water, but have dove them in salt and fresh.
I always take extra contacts on trips as a backup, but never have had to use them.

So if I go with contacts or a full correction lens then I will need bifocals to read my gauges. My bifocal correction with contacts is +1.75. With no lenses in or glasses on I can see my gauges fine.

Maybe I should stay with a non prescription mask. I was trying to determine if the correction for my prescription was going to make that big of a difference.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you get contacts that FIT theres no problem diving with them. I have lost ONE and that was not the diving but me being dumb and rubbing my eye...

Stock lenses will not correct the cylinder, usually astigmatism. Does it matter? Maybe not.

Go to someplace that sells plain old straight diopter reading glasses (like Wal-Mart) and see if they provide adequate correction. You will use 2 pairs to check your eyes individually.

Pete

Theres no problem getting toric lenses.. I use them myself :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom