Mares bungees or spring strap options for Mares Quattros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asp9208

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to replace the the straps on my Avanti Quattros, something that will simply fit over the existing posts. I'd heard the Mares used to make a spring strap accessory but that the metal connector would occasionally cut into the posts, now it seems Mares offers a bungee strap option. Would the Mares bungee be okay or is there another spring strap option that y'all could point me towards?

Go to Leisurepro.com......They have spring straps that'll fit Mares Quattros.....

I use the "bungee" straps on my Mares and like them. They look nicer too than the raw metal buckle that comes with their spring version.

I've seen the atomic universal springs online and the EZ spring straps but don't know if there is difference enough to justify the price difference or if there is something better out there. I like the idea of the Mares bungee straps simply because I like Mares products and they are made specifically for my fins. But, are the bungees as good as the springs?

I've got the Mares bungees. They're awesome. Much more comfortable and better looking that the metal springs IMHO.

cb5150 you state that the bungees are more comfortable than the springs in your opinion, can yo give me an example? What spring straps have you used that are less comfortable than the bungees?

Have you ever considered the mares hinged buckles? They are nice because they loosen up when you pop them open and they hinge to close and lock like a tank lock on the back of BCD. Very comfortable, but then again I have never used springs or bungies.

cb5150 you state that the bungees are more comfortable than the springs in your opinion, can yo give me an example? What spring straps have you used that are less comfortable than the bungees?

Sure, I have Atomic spring straps on my Atomic spit fins, Haycyon Spring straps on my SP Jets, Mares bungee straps on my Avanti Quattros and SP bungees on my Seawing Novas.

The bungees on my Avanti Quattros and SP SW Novas just seem to be more flexible and grip better. It could also be that the little tab thing that sits on my heel/Achille's Tendon is softer/more grippy.

The metal spring straps on my Atomics have a harder/stiffer tab thing that seems to slide off my boot easier.

The metal Halcyon springs on my SP Jets are covered in a cloth material and don't have a tab. They seem to be the stiffest of the bunch and really dig into my heel/Achille's tendon. I don't wear rock boots with my jets, only normal 3mm booties. Perhaps this wouldn't be an issue if I was a drysuit diver and wore heavier boots?

Like I said, it's just my opinion, but the rubber bungee straps on my Mares AQs and Scubapro SWNs just fit me better, feel more secure and are more comfortable. Hope this helps!

I put a pair of the mares bungee straps on my Quattro, my Hollis fins have the string straps. I had a choice of getting the mares springs or bungees the bungee was about 20 dollars cheaper. After a year of use I am completely happy with the bungee. Go with whichever you can get cheaper. By the way I have a extra pair of Quattro fins, black size regular if anybody is looking for a pair.

Another factor to consider is the spring strap is heavier and makes finning somewhat less efficient as you have to move more mass to get your feet going, a bit like wearing an ankle weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom