Aeris Accel vs Mares Power Plana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaERDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I have been diving with a pair of Apollo BioFins for the last few years and love them, especially in open environments. However I am planning a Yucatan cenote trip this summer and split fins do have limitations when it comes to frog kicks, helicopter kicks etc. I have been keeping an eye out for a pair of smaller travel friendly paddle fins to take with me on this trip. Really been looking at the Aeris Accel as well as the Mares Power Plana. I like the Accel's low weight which would be awesome for travel. But BioFins have spoiled me with the all rubber feel and The Power Plana is an all rubber fin!

Anyone had a chance to dive with both (or either) and have any suggestions or comparisons???

Thanks
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aerfac/aeris-accel-open-heel-fin

http://www.mares.com/products/fins/open-heel/power-plana/7017/?region=eu

Seems like pretty much a matter of light weight vs natural rubber

Have you had a look at the Hollis F2s probably a good compromise between the two. I own the Accels, very very light but have only dived them a few times so jury is still out. I also owned the F2s which I preferred, seem more robust, still light (a little heavier) and small like the Accels. I had to sell them as even the small had a very generous foot pocket and were very sloppy. The Planas look nice but kinda heavy if you're looking for "travel friendly" fins. I'd like to buy a pair but am almost positive they will be too big for me even in drysuit boots.

Thanks for the rec. I've been eyeballing the F2s for some time as well and they really sound nice. But it sounds like the foot pocket is really kinda big? I guess I need to find a LDS which carries them so I can try them out.

To be fair I do have small feet, around 6.5 US, but yes most definitely try before you buy particularly if you have small feet. The foot pocket is quite wide so if you have narrow feet or a double whammy, small and narrow, you might run into a fitting problem. You can always buy from somewhere like DGX (DiveGearExpress) or Leisure Pro or in fact any online store that has a return policy. Having dealt with DGX many times over the years I have no hesitation in recommending them. Good luck.

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2014 at 05:51 AM ----------

Just to add, you can fit ScubaPro Seawing Nova/Gorilla bungee straps on the Accels, which I did, I like them more than the silicone straps they come with.

My husband was given a pair of the Power Planas to test . . . what I can tell you is that we fight over who gets to use them. I like them the best of all the fins I have owned or tried -- they are stiff enough to do anything, but the slightly soft center seems to give a LOT more power. I just wish they made them in something other than black! (BTW, they are relatively heavy, similar to Jets, if you are parsing luggage tightly.)

My husband was given a pair of the Power Planas to test . . . what I can tell you is that we fight over who gets to use them. I like them the best of all the fins I have owned or tried -- they are stiff enough to do anything, but the slightly soft center seems to give a LOT more power. I just wish they made them in something other than black! (BTW, they are relatively heavy, similar to Jets, if you are parsing luggage tightly.)

Sorry for the hijack...

I take it you're wearing rock boots or similar with them? We have similar(?) size feet and can't imagine they fit you if wearing the Santi flexi sole boots? ... I wear a Medium santi boot and Large jets are too small but XL jets are too big, Hollis F1s are also too big.

Maybe I can buy a pair after all, Peter has the regular doesn't he?

Budd -- yes the pair "we" have is size Regular and Lynne's Santi suit's attached boots fit just fine. I showed them to a friend a couple of days ago and he was impressed with how soft the foot pocket was -- particularly the top part since his jets hurt the tops of his feet/ankles.

I really like the Power Planas and have/will recommend them. Now I just need to get the larger size to fit over my dry suit booties.

Budd -- yes the pair "we" have is size Regular and Lynne's Santi suit's attached boots fit just fine. I showed them to a friend a couple of days ago and he was impressed with how soft the foot pocket was -- particularly the top part since his jets hurt the tops of his feet/ankles.

I really like the Power Planas and have/will recommend them. Now I just need to get the larger size to fit over my dry suit booties.

I almost bought a pair in part based on a previous "discussion" we had but after discussing it with Leisure Pro they advised that even regular would likely be too big given Large jets are too small and XL jets too big for my santi medium flex sold boots. Might have to see if a Tokyo dealer can get a pair in for me to try. Problem is over here they won't order unless you're going to buy. I have some Avanti Quattro + fins in small which fit my santi boots. The Santis also fit medium DR EXP XT fins.

Since I have and use both, the Planas are definitely more powerful, the Accels are definitely more packable.

N

Back
Top Bottom