ProEar Mask Evaluation & Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tajkd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I continue to have tinnitus from dives I took last year (see here for my posting). I have rested from diving until recently even though I normally have 30 dives or so by May. I considered a longer break, or quitting, but I thought I'd try one product that seems to have helped others; the ProEar mask by IST Sports. The website has a few claims;
.Pressure equalization is easier achieved!
.Prevents pressure induced ear ache (barotrauma)
.Enhanced underwater hearing and sense of direction
.Stops dirty / polluted water from entering the ear causing infection
.Increased warmth around the ear in cold conditions

I also bought the special hood that comes with it which I really like. Now the report...

Dive was for 36 minutes in 45 degree water, max depth around 70 feet. I deliberately changed depth several times to test the equalizing function. The mask fogged up a bit like any new mask but was easy to purge (just the mask portion) and the ear portion did not leak. In fact, the mask didn't leak at all either. Ears stayed completely dry. I can comment on the claims above:

• Pressure equalization may be a bit easier but its hard to say for sure. You still do need to equalize and this mask doesn't seem to make it significantly easier (exception noted below) or less frequent based on my experience.
  • I can't see how it would "prevent" barotrauma and I can't believe it would. I felt a bit achy after the dive. I thought I had healed from the trauma I experienced last year but, since I needed to equalize as normal, I could feel the lingering effects after the dive.
  • The underwater hearing is probably accurate. The sound is definitely different.
  • I have to agree here. There was zero water in the cups after the dive. I was pleased with that part.
  • Increased warmth - maybe. the hood is awesome with two layers and the air insulation around your ears does seem to keep them warmer.

I will add one thing to the claims though. The mask is low volume and I found myself blowing into the mask with my nose. It seemed a simple way to pressurize and it did aid, but not eliminate equalizing using another method. I'm sure it contributed to the fogging as well.

So, is it definitely a way to continue diving? Maybe. I think it would only marginally help me during the power diving live-aboards so I may not do those again. It does seem like a low risk way to at least keep your ears dry so I will continue to use it. btw - cost is around $100.

I must have missed this post, been using this mask purchased via DAN Europe two years ago, it's so good I bought a second one as a back up just in case I lose it or something irreparable happens to it.

Just an update to this post: I just returned from a week in Bonaire. 21 dives with the Pro Ear and I feel great. No pain and no problems equalizing. I had one dive that the ear leaked a bit but purged it while at depth. Speaking of depth, I did tour the Windjammer so took the mask down a bit. It has rescued my diving and I still highly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom