Aqualung Hotshot vs. Aeris Accel vs. Hollis F2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunshinecat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I’m thinking about getting some new fins and wanted some advice on the Aqualung Hotshot, Aeris Accel, and Hollis F2 which seem to be frequently recommended here. All of my diving has been on vacation in warm water and I anticipate this will be the majority of my diving going forward. Currently I use open-heel fins and high-top hard-sole boots and always pack both in my checked bag. I’m getting tired of paying checked baggage fees and have had an airline lose my luggage with my scuba gear in it, so I would like to get fins that will fit in a carry-on bag and preferably that don’t require boots (to eliminate weight and bulk). I’m looking at the Aqualung Hotshot and have seen some good reviews here. I notice a lot of people like the Aeris Accel and Hollis F2 but those have to be worn with boots and I’ve heard the F2 has a pretty large foot pocket which concerns me since I wear a size 7-7.5 women’s shoe.

Can someone give me recommendations on these three fins as far as comfort, size for travel, power, and anything else that might help me decide? I see the Accel and F2 mentioned more often here--is that because boots are necessary at a lot of warm water/tropical dive sites, or are these better fins in some way, or do most people prefer diving with boots regardless of the dive site? Is it worth buying a fin that can use boots, or could I use the Hotshot for most dive sites? Since I already own a pair of boots and full-length fins, I could always take those if I go on a trip where I think I’ll have a rough entry (although then I’d have to check my luggage). If there are any other fins I should consider I would appreciate any recommendations, but my primary concern is a travel-size fin with good performance for a recreational diver and that isn't really expensive since I only take one dive trip a year (i.e. please don't recommend something really expensive like Force Fins). Thanks!

Hotshots have a fixed length strap. I would recommend trying a pair to make sure they meet your expectations. If your last sentence was omited, I would recommend a used pair of Forcefins off eBay. I have a second pair of FF's that I lend to inquisitive divers. Those fins have gone on more dive trips than I have. You can get a used pair for less than a new pair of Hotshots if you keep your eyes open. There must be a reason why they are so well liked.

Am taking a pair of the Aeris Accel's to the Bahamas next week. They are ridiculously light, and seem just fine. I've tried them out on a dive here in So Cal, and seem just fine. I'll post a "report" in 2 to 3 weeks of my findings.

Am taking a pair of the Aeris Accel's to the Bahamas next week. They are ridiculously light, and seem just fine. I've tried them out on a dive here in So Cal, and seem just fine. I'll post a "report" in 2 to 3 weeks of my findings.

Please do. They seem really interesting taking them for a little spin.

If you have small feet you'll likely not fit the F2s. I'm not a fan of the power bands on the HotShots. The Aeris and F2s are very similar dimensionally and both pack equally well. The Accels are lighter than the F2s. Surprisingly the foot pocket on the Accels is also quite spacious but less than the F2s. I'm a men's 6-6.5 and in 5mm boots the Small F2s were too big. The XS Accels fit fine.

image.jpg

Just for comparison: Small F2s, XS Accels and Small Quattros

Big Fan of the Aeris Accels here - the weight will make a huge difference in your packing. If you want to lose even more weight it may be possible to swap your booties for dive socks...id recommend trying this in your LDS before you purchase though.

Big Fan of the Aeris Accels here - the weight will make a huge difference in your packing. If you want to lose even more weight it may be possible to swap your booties for dive socks...id recommend trying this in your LDS before you purchase though.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Buddhasummer, it sounds like we're the same size (I wear size 5 mm boots in size 6), so I'll skip the F2s. Wingy, have you used the Accels with dive socks? I thought they had to be used with boots (especially for someone like me with small feet, I wonder if the XS size will be too big without boots).

One more question for those who have used the Accels: I've read some reviews saying that they are pretty stiff; have you noticed that they are stiff or difficult to kick? I'm a small woman and don't have strong legs, so need something that's easy to kick.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Buddhasummer, it sounds like we're the same size (I wear size 5 mm boots in size 6), so I'll skip the F2s. Wingy, have you used the Accels with dive socks? I thought they had to be used with boots (especially for someone like me with small feet, I wonder if the XS size will be too big without boots).

One more question for those who have used the Accels: I've read some reviews saying that they are pretty stiff; have you noticed that they are stiff or difficult to kick? I'm a small woman and don't have strong legs, so need something that's easy to kick.

I find the Accels a tad stiff.

I bought my Aeris Accels last October. I had been using the Aeris velocity for several years with spring straps and really loved them.
I seem to have "sinking feet" with a heavy fins. The Accels are much lighter and my sinking feet problem went away using them.
They are shorter and lighter, great for packing on trips.
I did not find any loss in power when finning due to them being shorter than my velocity fins.
I use them with booties.
As was mentioned above they are a bit stiff, but I like that in a fin.

No I havent tried it, my feet are quite small and the XS with boots is a good fit for me. The dive socks suggestion came from a friend with...fat feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom