Fin experiment with totally unexpected results.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fins involved:
Aeris Accel open back - 12" toe to tip, 6" wide at toe, 9"wide at tip, 8" wide at middle.
weight 1.6#, surface about 96 sq inches.

Cressi FreeFrog full foot - 14" toe to tip, 7" wide at toe, 9"wide at tip, 9" wide at middle.
weight 1.5#, surface about 112 sq inches.

Aeris Velocity 3X open back - 15" toe to tip, 7" wide at toe, 9"wide at tip, 9"wide at middle.
weight 1.6#, surface about 135 sq inches.

NOTE: weight is for a single fin - not the pair.

Procedure:
Put one fin from the group on one foot and a different fin from the group on the other foot. Swim naturally for a distance of about 60 feet repeat at slow, medium and fast finning rates. Observe. Repeat till all combinations have been observed.

Results:
I honestly could not tell which fin was on which foot. Every combination felt like I was swimming with exactly the same fin on both feet. I thought for sure the Accel at half the weight, shortest, and smallest surface area against the Velocity 3X with twice the weight, longest and greatest surface area would show some difference. Not at all. They felt like exactly the same fin on each foot. Moreover, at no speed did I pull to one side or the other - so they had the same thrust no matter which fin was on which foot.

Discussion:
The FreeFrogs cost me about $40 some years ago. The Velocity 3X's cost me $140 from my LDS a while back with rubber straps (now $50 @ LeisurePro with spring straps - probably worth buying for the springs alone). The Accel's are $90 now. None are "top of the line" but all claim to be superior. Makes ya wonder.

I'm going to be using the Accel's everywhere now. Not just when I travel by air. Anyone interested in some good fins, cheap? LOL

I often use a pair of mismatched pair of Force Fins, one from an old set and one newer, because I lost the other of each pair. The two fins are slightly difference in compliance, size and shape and I also can never feel the difference. I've seen dive guides use mismatched fins as well.

It's possible that subconsciously your legs and feet adapt to the different fins so you don't notice the difference in thrust.

Interesting test results.

My wife and I took our brand new Aeris Accels out for a test today. We did three dives and both agreed that we did not like them. The silicone fin straps kept popping off the post and we found them too...floppy. We'll be sticking with our SP Seawing Novas and putting the Accels on Craigslist.

Kharon, I spent 40 year's testing different models of fin's, including hundred's of Force Fin prototypes. In a test pool at my home, I have learned to feel the difference between each fin. The subtle differences often surprise me. With practice, I have learned to tell the difference. Kind of like a musician can learn to fine tune his instrument. Here is a fun video of some testing I did with the OPS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvag71c5hI8

I took a pair of Accels and Mares Quattro + to Socorro, expecting the Quattros to blow away the Accels. I honestly couldn't tell a difference with flutter kicks. Frog kicks on the other hand were better with the Quattros.
By the way, aren't Seawing Novas floppy by design?

Kharon, I spent 40 year's testing different models of fin's, including hundred's of Force Fin prototypes. In a test pool at my home, I have learned to feel the difference between each fin. The subtle differences often surprise me. With practice, I have learned to tell the difference. ...//...

Thank you for your honesty.

I've seen dive guides use mismatched fins as well.

You may be seeing the same fin in different colors. I always dive with two different color fins so that people can spot me, but the same kind.

The hilarious thing to find out is that there are lots of times when it will take until dive 4 in the open water course for students to figure that out. Every time I think OW students are really good and confident, they do something like that to remind me that OW students are really in a fog, zoned out.

It reminds me of the gorilla on the basketball court psychological experiment.

I took a pair of Accels and Mares Quattro + to Socorro, expecting the Quattros to blow away the Accels. I honestly couldn't tell a difference with flutter kicks. Frog kicks on the other hand were better with the Quattros.

I have the Quattros also and they're great except for the space they take up. Do you know if the Mares bungee straps will go on the Accels?

I have the Quattros also and they're great except for the space they take up. Do you know if the Mares bungee straps will go on the Accels?

I haven't tried the Mares bungee straps on the Accels. The Scubapro bungee straps work well. The Accels have standard size posts so I imagine most bungee straps would work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom