Looking for a mask recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwatr

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am currently diving a Mares X-vision mask and I am having an issue where after the first dive I will get water into the bottom of it and no matter what I do I can't get the water to leave during the second or third dives. I am thinking I need a smaller mask that will fit my face better. Looking for any recommendations for a mask that is similar to the x-vision, but possibly a little smaller. Or is someone has a recommendation as to why my mask fills with water and no matter how many times I clear it I can't get that last little bit of water out.

I have a small narrow face and have found over the years the only mask that fits me is the Atomic Aquatic Frameless in Medium fit. Good luck, it can be a frustrating journey.

Your best bet would be to go to a dive shop that has several different makes, sizes & shapes, & try them on to get an idea of what fits you best. By your avatar (if it is you), you look to be clean shaven. Sometimes facial hair &/ or even a little stubble growth can affect a mask's seal. My instructor, if he does not shave very closely every morning before diving, must clear his mask constantly & he's tried hundreds of masks in his career,.... They all do the same.

Your best bet would be to go to a dive shop that has several different makes, sizes & shapes, & try them on to get an idea of what fits you best. By your avatar (if it is you), you look to be clean shaven. Sometimes facial hair &/ or even a little stubble growth can affect a mask's seal. My instructor, if he does not shave very closely every morning before diving, must clear his mask constantly & he's tried hundreds of masks in his career,.... They all do the same.

Absolutely, if I shave night before I'm fine, if I shaved morning day before it'll leak. My general routine is shaving morning of dive. I'm amazed at how little an amount of stubble will cause a leak.

Absolutely, if I shave night before I'm fine, if I shaved morning day before it'll leak. My general routine is shaving morning of dive. I'm amazed at how little an amount of stubble will cause a leak.

I'm just going off my instructor's experiences,... I'm female, & while I do have some facial hair (a small mustachio), it is very fine & does not present a problem for me.

I'm just going off my instructor's experiences,... I'm female, & while I do have some facial hair (a small mustachio), it is very fine & does not present a problem for me.

I know you're a female Tammy:wink:

I have the same issue as your instructor, now if only I had the same problem on my head:D

Slight hijack, did get your reg sorted?

I have a small narrow face and have found over the years the only mask that fits me is the Atomic Aquatic Frameless in Medium fit. Good luck, it can be a frustrating journey.

I'll second the atomic frameless medium. I have a narrow face and it has the best fit of the dozens of masks that I have tried.

For the longest time I could rarely get a good seal. I had enough water flowing through the mask space that I didn't bother with anti-fog :D

Eventually it dawned upon me my face is not symmetric and I experimented with tilting the mask to one side or the other and found with a sight list to port I finally got a good seal, almost every dive.

Everyone face is different, and therefore mask recommendations can be hit or miss. The Oceanic mini shadow is normally a winner though, and super comfy. But yes, definitely go to an outlet and try some on - you may even be able to take some for a test dive.

Back
Top Bottom