Best masks for dark-water wreck diving?!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finn-fabulous

Registered
Reaction score
So, after a year of diving every chance I got, I finally made it up to some Lake Erie wrecks! But...my eyes don't adjust very quickly from the bright sunny Day on the boat to the dark, cold bottom. I'm a person that takes a few minutes before I can even find my seat in the movie theatre. Does anyone know of any masks that are just awesome for viewing detail at dark depths and/or tips on helping vision in dark waters? I have dived in the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Atlantic but nothing prepared me for this kind of darkness on a wreck at 120-130 ft. I am diving Nitrox, but not a tec diver so I don't have all day to let my eyes adjust. Any tips on masks or procedure is appreciated.

Not sure about you mask question, but maybe you need to spend your money on some good bright lights. If I am diving in anything darker than the Caribbean I have 2 lights on me and I'll usually have one of them turned on.

In Lake Champlain it goes black at around 60ft. The only thing that helps is my can light.

I have a light...supposedly a good one. Any recommendations on excellent lights for fresh water deep wreck dives is appreciated! A few ppl on my last dive swear that some masks provide better vision at depth. That is why I asked.

The light I use is a Dusty's Light.

https://www.facebook.com/DustysLights
His cover photo is actually a photo of me in a Missile Silo. I have no stake in the company. It's just one guy in Washington that makes these lights and sells them fairly cheap for what they are.

In this video I was using his light while holding my camera. The other diver is using a Dive Right in Scuba DRIS100 Light (It's my back up light) This was shot in Lake Champlain at 100ft. It is nearly pitch black without a light.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFCrb07ScEo

Those are a couple of options. There are many more of course.
You will see here on the forums that the DRIS1000 is pretty well received.

As long as your mask isn't fogged or scratched up, any mask is fine.

For a good light, I would look at a quality can-light or at the very least a L&M SOLA 1200.

A Black skirt mask would be more ideal when transitioning from bright surface to dark depth.
Clear skirts allow more glare and light to come in from all angles, where as a black mask can shadow your eyes so they don't have to adjust at such a greater magnitude of change in brightness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom