Thinking of trying full face mask , Pro's ? Con's ? OTS Guardian ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I been out of the water now inactive from diving on and off the past few years

I'm thinking of getting back into diving, and looking at purchasing equipment all over again

I watch the TV show " Catching Hell " and love it. I see them all wearing FFM with Comms

I have a buddy that loves diving his FFM which is a OTS Guardian

After being out of the water the past few years, about 3, then dove a few times , got into a motocycle accident, and was back out of the water another 2 years, allot of equipment has changed

Can you share your thoughts on diving a FFM ? Easy to done ? Easy to clear? Fogging? Does it come with a 1st stage?

From what I'm reading, theirs a FFM course? Great ! One cert I don't have out of the 50 certs, lol

Thanks, I don't want to have to buy equipment twice, as it will be expensive enough buying the Halcyon Infinity BP, a computer, fins, etc

Ok here is my 2cents worth.
I own a FFM it is a Guardian. It does not come with a first stage but can be paired with just about any modern first stage. it does come with a second stage. I dive a Guardian for personal gear and a AGA for PSD stuff. I much prefer my guardian for fit and hose routing and finally it is all standard hose fittings so it is cheaper to customize.

The mask is easy to clear and does not fog when you are under as the air flow clears the lens. It will fog when you are on the surface and have the Ambient breathing Valve open. I personally feel it increases my air consumption somewhat but it is worth it when i need it.

All that said

I only use my FFM about 1 out of 30 dives. I don't have comms on my mask and don't want them as when I dive the last thing I enjoy is having a buddy talking in my ear all the time. I use the comms for PSD work and that is different and necessary recreational not so much.

I have 5 different modern reg sets so this is by far is not my only option it is an enjoyable one to have but for sure not a must have and would not really be my only regulator set

They leak....

Ok thanks

I'm just getting back into diving after being out of the water now for several years

I don't think I want to add the extra task of just starting back out with new FFM

Herb bought up allot of good points.

I'll do the same, maybe add it to my collection in the future, but for now, it will be much cheaper also since I have to buy all my gear all over again

Thanks for your inputs

My OTS Guardian FFM does not leak. It doesn't fog underwater. It provides great visibility with my prescription lenses mounted inside. My buddies have tried - inadvertently - to kick it off, they cannot.

I've worn it with a thick hood (Maine ocean), over a neoprene beanie (Maine lakes) or just over my hair (Florida).

I do use a bit more air compared to a regular mask, but the difference in seeing makes it worth it.

The main adjustments for me concerned sharing air. It's not as straightforward as using a regular mask and second stage. I got a new BCD because my first one had my octo on the power inflator. That would be my air source in an emergency, my buddy would get my main reg. Can't do that with a FFM.

The FFM doesn't come off quickly as noted above. If I have to breathe off my buddy's tank, the FFM is coming off, slowly. I carry a spare mask on occasion. A long surface swim on a shore dive will prompt me to switch to the regular mask so I can use a snorkel. I'll put silicone on my 'stache and pull hard on my mask straps, but I'm resigned to it leaking and fogging.

I tend to over-breathe the FFM vent on long entry walks and surface swims, age and fitness being the main issue there.

I've got the comm unit, but only had someone to talk to on a couple of dives, and neither of us were very chatty. I took the battery out and didn't replace it after listening to the automated voice warn me of impending low-battery shutdown every 90 seconds on an hour-long dive.

-

Life-Is-Good-Diver,

Little late to this thread, but let me know if I can answer any questions about the Guardian full face mask.

Benefits, prices, where to try/buy.

Good luck in your FFM adventure, once you use one you won't want to go back to a standard half mask and bite down reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom