Full Face Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey guys! first post here. I am looking to buy a full face mask, but cannot afford to spend more than 600$. I have my own regulator, so I was hoping to buy a mask that allowed you to use your old regulator. I found the the ScubaPro full face dive mask online, and most of the reviews were good but a couple of them said there was a problem with leakage. Does anyone have any advice regarding either the ScubaPro mask or another recommendation? Thanks for your time

ScubaPro Full Face Dive Mask w/Quick Disconnect Carry Case (Reg not Included)

Save up the extra $43 and get one that is designed from scratch as a FFM;

Ocean Reef from LeisurePro

I use one for black water searches and it's fine. The real question is what problem do you have that requires a FFM as a solution?

There are significant disadvantages to using one in recreational diving.

I think you would be much better off using the Kirby Morgan mask for about the same money. Scuba manufactures make full face masks as a side line, Kirby Morgan makes them for a living. This mask was designed to meet commercial & military standards and made to be modular so it can be configured any way you like now and will be easy to upgrade in the future. This also allows you to remove the reg if needed and keep the mask in place or to use with a rebreather. Unlike scuba manufactures Kirby Morgan parts are available to anyone who needs them.

M-48 MOD-1 | Kirby Morgan

PS: Here are the US Navy test results and recommendations for this mask.

View attachment ADA446510.pdf

Last edited:
My wife & a friend of mine have dove an old AGA Interspiro FFM. From what they told me, and what I've read, the following points are of interest:

1.) You can breathe through your nose.

2.) Equalizing isn't quite as easy, or at least requires some different technique.

3.) It doesn't fog of require clearing.

4.) They go through air a bit faster than using a regular mask.

5.) It's secured to the head well enough with those straps that just 'whipping it off' wouldn't be real easy. This is an issue because...

6.) The AGA doesn't have the capability to pull off the 2nd stage and accept someone else's octo. in an OOA emergency. And pulling the whole thing off underwater can largely blind you, so you'd better stay on top of your gas supply diligently (which you should do anyway, of course).

7.) Some FFM's let you add a com. unit for conservation (for a nominal fee, of course).

You're looking at a different product, yes, but I wanted you to know my frame of reference in suggesting these points, if I were looking for a FFM for myself today, I'd want...

1.) One that would let me breathe off someone's octo. without pulling the mask off my head.

2.) Maybe one that had the option to add a com. unit in case I ever did want to converse with people underwater. Right now I don't, but there are 'challenging' dives where it could be a plus.

While $600 is not chump change, a FFM is a big enough investment, and important enough, I don't recommend making much compromise on a tight budget. If you need to wait till you've got more money, wait till you've got more money. I'm not pushing any particular brand. I'm just saying an $800 mask that an excellent match for you is far better than a $600 mask that's tolerable with flaws.

Whatever you get, post back sometime and let us know how you like it!

Richard.

A little late to the thread here, but, you'd do well to contact someone at OTS to discuss advantages/disadvantages of the different full face mask available.

Ocean Technology Systems
Ocean Technology Systems

John

I think drrich2 covers all the advantages/disadvantages but in response to a request here is my brief take on FFM use;

Advantages:

Protection from environment;

Contamination
Temperature (cold)
Stinging organisms

Communications.

Protection in event of black out.

Mask clearing.

More comfortable (natural) breathing through nose.

Disadvantages:

Cost (especially with communications).

Carbon Dioxide Build up.

Emergency breathing.

Gas switching.

Gas consumption.

Ear clearing can be awkward.

I'll elaborate on any of these points if anyone asks.

To be frank, in a recreational diving situation I don't think the advantages are sufficient unless you really, really want to have audio comms during a dive.

I use one purely because I do some dives in places where I don't really want to inhale/ingest the water. If I'm not doing that kind of dive the FFM gets left at home.

All IMO of course.

I am curious about these "significant disadvantages" are. I have dove with FFM for years and cannot think of one "significant disadvantage"

I think drrich2 covers all the advantages/disadvantages but in response to a request here is my brief take on FFM use;

Advantages:

Protection from environment;

Contamination
Temperature (cold)
Stinging organisms

Communications.

Protection in event of black out.

Mask clearing.

More comfortable (natural) breathing through nose.

Disadvantages:

Cost (especially with communications).

Carbon Dioxide Build up.

Emergency breathing.

Gas switching.

Gas consumption.

Ear clearing can be awkward.

I'll elaborate on any of these points if anyone asks.

To be frank, in a recreational diving situation I don't think the advantages are sufficient unless you really, really want to have audio comms during a dive.

I use one purely because I do some dives in places where I don't really want to inhale/ingest the water. If I'm not doing that kind of dive the FFM gets left at home.

All IMO of course.

I concur, but would add barfing to the disadvantages list. It is doable but requires more skill, which few divers have with a mouthpiece let alone a FFM.

To expand on his Gas Consumption item, the higher dead air space in an oral nasal mask requires deeper breathing to avoid CO2 buildup. On average, gas consumption increases even though intuitively one would think that nose-breathing would make it less.

Hey guys! first post here. I am looking to buy a full face mask, but cannot afford to spend more than 600$. I have my own regulator, so I was hoping to buy a mask that allowed you to use your old regulator. I found the the ScubaPro full face dive mask online, and most of the reviews were good but a couple of them said there was a problem with leakage. Does anyone have any advice regarding either the ScubaPro mask or another recommendation? Thanks for your time

ScubaPro Full Face Dive Mask w/Quick Disconnect Carry Case (Reg not Included)

I have had the Scubapro mask for a couple years and use it occasionally for shallow ice water diving. I originally bought it for no special reason other than it was a demo and I got a good deal on it. I do recreational diving and wanted to try a ffm. I use a Sherwood Blizzard reg that fits in the slot well, not all regs will fit. This mask uses up a lot of air, it would be difficult to remove in an emergency with winter gloves on, it has a lot of positive pressure and I need to hold it against my face with one hand all the time. It is impossible to equalize the ears in the usual manner with winter gloves on; the fat finger tips don't fit in the nostril holes. I have seen no where that you can buy a replacement web strap if you break it. On the positive side it keeps my face warm in the frigid water and I can breath on the surface with the ambient air valve cap off, thus saving air on the surface [and it looks scary when you exit the water in front of tourists -- it really gets the dogs barking!] Unless you have a real need for an ffm on a regular basis I would not waste the money. For the cold water get an extra large mask instead that covers most of the exposed skin on the face. For anyone wishing to purchase a ffm I would recommend trying it out on a couple of test dives first to see if you really want to deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom