Risk-free ways to try out masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm really disillusioned at the moment with mask shopping. Is there any truly risk-free way to try them out in the water?

Masks are such a personal thing due to skirt material and face shape. I've been using a Mares X-Vision Mid LiquidSkin for years and it's the only one I've found that really fits my small/narrow face, but Mares really neglects the Mid line to the point of pushing it to extinction. I want a black skirt (and a mask not as silly-looking as the X-Vision), and there's no black Mid LiquidSkin; just clear. Leisure Pro is local to me so I was able to buy a bunch to try (at home) and just return whatever didn't work. I ended up buying the Aqualung Micromask, which seemed so perfect in every way at home. I went diving with it yesterday and the thing would not stop flooding the nose pocket. So now since I used it, it's not returnable. I can go back to LP and either beg them to make an exception or sell it back to them used. Some other online retailers have policies where you can send back used great for credit towards another. That's great, but if I tried five masks, I'm out almost $50 because of return shipping. Is there a better way?

Thanks.

-Ken

I'm really disillusioned at the moment with mask shopping. Is there any truly risk-free way to try them out in the water?

Masks are such a personal thing due to skirt material and face shape. I've been using a Mares X-Vision Mid LiquidSkin for years and it's the only one I've found that really fits my small/narrow face, but Mares really neglects the Mid line to the point of pushing it to extinction. I want a black skirt (and a mask not as silly-looking as the X-Vision), and there's no black Mid LiquidSkin; just clear. Leisure Pro is local to me so I was able to buy a bunch to try (at home) and just return whatever didn't work. I ended up buying the Aqualung Micromask, which seemed so perfect in every way at home. I went diving with it yesterday and the thing would not stop flooding the nose pocket. So now since I used it, it's not returnable. I can go back to LP and either beg them to make an exception or sell it back to them used. Some other online retailers have policies where you can send back used great for credit towards another. That's great, but if I tried five masks, I'm out almost $50 because of return shipping. Is there a better way?

Thanks.

-Ken
Bluewater divers in Paramus NJ has a pool. When I took my class there they let me try different masks until I found one that worked. Not sure if they would do that if you are just buying a mask but it doesn't hurt to ask.

how are you trying your masks on? you should be putting them on your face without the strap on the back of your head, inhale just a little bit, and see if it stays on there. 30 second test and you can see if there's leaks or not. If it falls off then no dice, if it stays on it should be good.

how are you trying your masks on? you should be putting them on your face without the strap on the back of your head, inhale just a little bit, and see if it stays on there. 30 second test and you can see if there's leaks or not. If it falls off then no dice, if it stays on it should be good.

Yup. It was perfect this way, even with a regulator in my mouth. But once I was in the water, I could not keep the nose pocket dry.

Yup. It was perfect this way, even with a regulator in my mouth. But once I was in the water, I could not keep the nose pocket dry.

So you tried the with-regulator-in-mouth trick. That's what I was going to suggest, as the presence of a regulator really can affect the shape of one's face where the mask seals.

I have no good suggestions other than to shop at a local shop that lets you try on masks in a pool. My local shop will let customers try any item (as far as I'm aware) in their pool. I suppose they know this is what most differentiates them from an on-line retailer. LP is great about returns, but you still can't return most gear once it's been dived in.

When you find the answer let me know. I could start charging admission, for all the masks I have in my storage shed:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom