Masks, snorkels, fins OH MY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sll612

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all! I'm totally new to this SCUBA thing. I start my certification tonight and know that very shortly (today or tomorrow) I have to pick up my own mask, snorkel and fins. What can I expect to spend for these three items? I know things aren't cheap, but is $300 feasible?

Thanks!

$300 is feasible, just cutting a little close there on time.... These guys might be able to overnight it to you if you order like now.

XT Fin - Dive Right in Scuba
good fins, not the cheapest but VERY very good fins
HOG Tech 2 Fin - Dive Right in Scuba
also good fins and a bit cheaper, harder on the legs to flutter kick

Hog Razorbak Frameless Mask - Dive Right in Scuba
good mask, cheap. what a lot of tech divers use. black skirt, low profile, i prefer frameless. Great masks.

Oceanic BLAST SNORKEL | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
no reason for any more snorkel than that because as soon as you start actually diving you'll not really bring it out again and the simple J snorkels are still the best of the lot anyway. Buy the cheapest snorkel you can, check craigslist and grab a used one, doesn't matter.

take care of them and they'll last you the rest of your life. If you have a diverite dealer, go there, those XT fins are worth a 1hour drive

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2014 at 06:11 PM ----------

minnesota DR dealers

Scuba Center | Minnesota's Largest PADI Scuba Diving School | Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Equipment, Water Rescue Equipment | Scuba Diving Classes | Dive Travel | Your Minnesota Standup Paddleboarding Headquarters | Minneapolis, Minnesota and Eagan,
Air Down There Scuba | Twin Cities PADI 5 Star Dive Shop | SDI, TDI and ERDI Training & Certification
AquaVenture Dive & Photo Center

Aquaventure is 2 star so would likely be your best bet at having those fins in stock. Diverite has an ES150 mask that is quite good. no snorkels due to being a tech company, but like I said, a simple J snorkel is all you need, everything else gimmick is pointless since you're scuba diving not snorkeling.

Last edited:
300 is way over priced IMO for first set of gear. I can put a package for a student of Mask Snorkel Fins together with perfectly serviceable gear that will last years for under $100.00.
Fins - under 50.00 Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services
Mask - 30.00,
Snorkel - 12.00.

Totally agree with Jim, to spend $300 on mask fins and snorkel for a course is IMO ludicrous - what if the OP does not like scuba after taking the course?

$15 - $35 mask and snorkel set
Fins way under $100

Jim's quoted price for someone doing a course and intro to the sport is more realistic. If the OP loves scuba and decides to continue on, that cheap mask and snorkel set is always there as a spare. Spending $300 is a bit like getting your permit to learn to drive and buying the top of the market car before you have even sat in a drivers seat.

For a mask - try on every decent quality mask you can find. They need to fit your face and be comfortable for you. Find one that fits and that you like the visual picture you get.

Snorkel - I like this one. Cressi Supernova Dry Snorkel at LeisurePro I've tried al lot and this is the best of the bunch. Personally I didagree with anyone who says you will never use a snorkel. That's elitist bushwah. First, you may need to make a long surface swim or hang out on the surface for a long time. Second, I spend a lot of surface interval time snorkeling. Third, there are times when diving doesn't make any sense but snorkeling does. It's fun in it's own right.

Fins - Of all the ones I've tried I like these the best. Aeris Accel Open Heel Fin at LeisurePro You will need boots to go with these but they are absolutely wonderful for air travel - light, rugged, short enough to fit in carry-on suitcase, and there is no performance penalty.

This might cost a tiny bit more than the bare minimum but these items will last you all your diving days.

Do NOT buy a mask mail-order without trying it on. Fit is the most important thing, not price or features. A leaking mask ensures you won't have a fun time during class or diving. If you're certifying locally that cold water hitting your face can be a shock also. I've never paid over $80 for a mask at any local dive shop and usually around $50 or less. Some extra cost features will be softer skirts for a better fit or frameless features - also for a better fit. Adjustable strap buckles are something I dismissed as useless till my last mask, now I really like it. I find that by changing the orientation slightly downward, the mask stays dry better.

Any $20-30 snorkel will work. Your dealer should have them. A smooth bore is probably easier to use. For probably double the price there are some folding ones that you can buy. My last folding one dry-rotted from non-use.

A good pair of paddle fins is well under $100. Besides the ones mentioned in the previous post, others to ask about are the Oceanic Viper or Vortex or the Mares Avanti Quattro Pro. Stay away from anything with flex hinges or power bands or other special features because what they mostly do is break sooner than a standard solid blade fin.

Your dealer may also show you split-fins as an option - they're more efficient (easier to kick) than paddle fins for reef touring but in tight places are much less maneuverable - for example they're almost impossible to back up in. The reason they're more expensive is not that they're better but that all the mfr's have to pay a patent fee to sell them.

Spring straps are a good upgrade as you'll never break one. The ones with an integrated handle are often easier to don/doff as long as it's pretty substantial looking (most will be).

Boots should be $25 or so. Really good boots are $50-60. I wouldn't skimp there since you may use them for a while. You'll probably be interested in thicker boots for MN water - like 7MM. Try on the boots with the fins you plan to buy.

In MN I wouldn't be surprised if they recommend a good pair of gloves also. 5MM might be a good choice for all but the coldest water. 7MM might be better but they're stiffer so hard to grasp/turn small things with.

Looks like some good gear. I just got some new Mares fins (not the Avantis) and love them.

Best of luck on your certification - will be nice to have another Minnesotan on the board!

James

Very-----------I'd not go more than 125 to 150 for all 3......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom