Fins that don't strain the ankles sideways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwoco

Registered
Reaction score
So my girlfriend wants to buy fins, but her ankles are no good (constantly sprained/recovering). To help her decide, I borrowed a bunch of fins for her to test out in a pool: Aeris Accel, Avanti Quattro, Warp1, fake Jet Fins and Atomic Splits, all in small sizes.

I expected her to prefer the Atomic Splits because they feel lighter in the water, but she says that the split results in the fin feeling more unstable in a sideways motion. Her top preference is the Avanti Quattro (mine, actually). She somehow sprained her ankle finning with the Warp1 when a wave came and twisted her ankle sideways because the footpocket of the Small size is too large.

Apart from the Avanti Quattro's, would you have any suggestions on which fins are easy on the ankles (sideways)? E.g. should she stick with Mares models likes SuperChannel? How do the Gull's feel? I couldn't borrow a pair, unfortunately. Mares Wave, Xtream, etc?

Any chance your could borrow a pair of Force Fins?
Force Fin

With a medical condition most recommendations are off. You're just going to have to see what works by trial and error.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I tried some fins in the pool once but only swimming. When I took them diving my choice was different. So my recommendation is if you are going to try them in a pool try them while on scuba. Also what feels good for a few minutes may or may not feel so good after a couple fo 50 minute dives.

Good luck

When I do pool instructing I use a pair of Aqua Lung Hot Shots...nice and short. But I agree with a medical condition, especially with something as complex as the ankle it is going to be trial and error.

I broke my ankle a couple of years ago and I still feel it. But of all think my favorite pair of fins, and I have a lot, are ScubaPro Jets...extremely hard, unforgiving rubber. But how my ankle broke and now how I fin the work for ME. I would have never have thought this, I just bought them to use for DIR equipment configuration uses.

cwoco. I would suggest the orginial force fin. Watch "Mission Blue" on netflicks with your Girl friend. Here you will view Dr. Sylvia Earle diving in her Ruby red Tan Delta. One difference in all of my designs is they are foot free and do not hang off the end of your foot. 2003-fiji140.jpg . Force fins products are expensive, but we have always offered a money back if not happy. Give a American Company a try. Best, Bob

Bob, I'd love to give them a go, but unfortunately I'm in Singapore and the shipping cost back and forth simply does not make sense. The only way to try them would be to find someone in Singapore who could loan them out, but I don't know anyone who owns a pair just yet.

I suppose trial and error is the only way to go, since her ankles are atypical. Perhaps I'll try to source for more fins for her to test!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom