Need to know if i can fix my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kewl13

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was out of diving for a few years. I left my mask in it's case and now one side of the skirt is folded in. So it will not seal. Is there any way to fix this? If i take something and put it in the mask to push the spot out it will seal. but would be unsafe to dive that way. Any Ideas would be great. The leak is on the side of the mask.

THANKS

I'd suggest wearing the mask around the house for a few months until it forms to your face again. Perhaps heat it up with a hair dryer now and again... ;-)

Seriously though... I have no idea. Rubber will break down over time, whereas silicone is somewhat more resilient I think.

A mask is a pretty important, and relatively inexpensive piece of kit though and a crappy one can spoil a dive...

I've never seen a decent silicone mask become deformed from a few weeks of bending I suspect you you have super crappy, hard plastic mask, The skirt being made of some kinds of "soft" plastic?

The mask is a Oceanic silicone mask. The clip for my snorkel was up against it.

I would say just purchase a new mask. Factor in the time and effort it would take to attempt to get it right again and the marginal chance of success. In addition you could be dealing with worn out materials, and who really wants that to rear its ugly head on a dive? I tell my students that you can have the best dive equipment on the market and rock solid dive skills, but if your mask sucks...your dive will suck.

Put it around a large coffee can or some other round/circular shaped object closely approximating your face and leave it for a LONG time. You might occasionally put a hair dryer on it. Do not worry about getting it too hot. The silicone itself can take more heat than you think and if you ruin it, sounds like you need a new one anyways.

N

I was out of diving for a few years. I left my mask in it's case and now one side of the skirt is folded in. So it will not seal. Is there any way to fix this? If i take something and put it in the mask to push the spot out it will seal. but would be unsafe to dive that way. Any Ideas would be great. The leak is on the side of the mask.

Unless it's horribly deformed, you can probably use it as-is.

If it is horribly deformed, you can either replace it or see if it's repairable (some masks have replaceable parts), or bend it back the right way and leave it another two years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom