Time for New Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver43

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been using the same pair of USDiver Blades since 1994 and have decided it is time for some new ones. I have brought the choices down to: Mares Avanti Quattro Plus, Aqualung Slingshots or Aqualung Hotshots. I like the power of the Quattros, the adjustability of the Slingshots and the adjustability and shorter length of the Hotshots. Unfortunately unlike a firearm I cant go to a range and rent each model and try it. Local shops that rent gear do not offer these fins as rentals and they are a little expensive to purchase blind. I welcome any and all suggestions and why. Most use will be South Florida reefs.

My first question is what is leading you to the decision to ditch the blades? Those are amazing fins! I do feel your pain with respect to not being able to try fins you intend to buy, as they are really a personal preference type of item. This is the reason that I have bought and sold numerous fins over the years before I settled with Turtles for wrecks and Dive Rite's for caves.

those old blade fins are as good as it gets man, no reason to "upgrade". If you want something lighter, try the DiveRite XT's, they're quite nice, but you will see many good technical divers with some form of those blade fins, be it Turtles, Jet Fins, IDI, Hog, Poseidon, OMS, you name it, but they're all some of the best fins ever made

Why? Well they are 20 years old for one. Am thinking maybe something newer and more "hightec" might be easier on my now upside of 50 year old legs. And now almost all my diving will be done in sunny south florida no crazy currents or anything like that.

I just used a new pair of Aqualung Hotshots this past weekend for the first time. I bought them for a couple of upcoming dive trips, but wanted to use them first locally. The first thing I noticed was how "different" they felt....almost like I forgot to put them on. Very light weight, but they performed as well as I would have expected. No issues with generating the power needed.

Not sure I could give you any more specific adjectives to help describe them, but I will say I was pleased with how they functioned and look forward to their small size and light weight when its time to pack for dive trips I have planned.

Thanks for the info, so far it looks like the HOTSHOTS are in the lead.
While I consider XTs good fins, The ones I borrowed once in San Carlos Mexico felt kind of stiff.

I have used the Aqualung Slingshots but I found them very heavy, powerful but heavy. I have also had the adjustable bands snap on me with large waves twice, once when entering the water from the boat deck, and once in extreme current. The bands are expensive about 30 -45 USD for a two pack. I also found that the hard molded foot pads separating from the rubber sides only after about 500 dives and also started to bend/curve downward quite a bit compared to other fins that were older with more dives.

I personally like the ScubaPro Seawing Nova fins, light weight and very powerful, they did have issues with the older model as they would eventually snap in the middle. They re-engineered them and are amazing. I have been using them for the past 3 years and would not switch.

New seawing novas- notice the flat top in the middle, and corrugation on the bottom
image.jpg

Old seawing novas- notice the corrugation on both the top and bottom.
image.jpg

You can't go wrong with the Quattros or DiveRites... I use them both!

ScubaLawrence, not sure where you purchase your powerbands, but they are only about 18 bucks a pair locally.

That you have broken two is an interesting thought though. Thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom