How many of have ever lost or are worried of losing your dive mask!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I wanted to know if anyone has lost their dive mask or is at least is worried of losing it. Especially when you are doing a shore dive. Normally you inflate the BC walk out get your fins on and kick out a bit with your mask clipped to your BC. If this sounds like your scenario than my question is for you!

I lost my mask a few months ago even though I had it clipped to my D ring. The reason I lost it was because I took it off to take a quick look at the viability before we got to the area we were going to drop down. I didn't want to have the mask on when we continued to kick out farther so I clipped it back on to my BC, at least I thought I did. In fact I did not clip the mask and therefore it became another bonus score for some lucky diver at La Jolla!!!
After that I found myself always checking and double checking to see that my mask was still clipped to me. It kind of got me thinking that there must be a better way of ensuring that the mask is not going anywhere. Especially since I like to take a peak while kicking out and I need to clip and unclip the mask several times.

It occurred to me that our Go Pro head strap leash works just just as well for a dive mask!
I wouldn't even think about using a go pro mask if I didn't have some type of leash, especially if was doing a shore dive and was going start out my dive by clipping it to my D ring. This leash works very well and I would like to offer those of you who would find this as a practical item on this forum to give a try.

Let me know if you think it is something you are interested in trying out and appeals to you. Especially those who like using some type of Go Pro mask ( Octomask or Go mask as an example) , I think this would really give you peace of mind.

https://www.zgearinc.com/

Z Gear Head Strap Leash with mask.jpgZ Gear Head Strap Leash 2.jpg

Last edited:
My mask has only two places : 1. Out of the water - inside in fin 2. In the water or when I close to the water - on my head. Never even think about some other place.
And of cause I also carry an identical second mask in my right pocket (shorts' if wet suit and dry if dry).

My dive buddy just lost his last night during a surf entry... Unfortunately we could not locate it and it sucks when it happens. But I am not sure if adding clips and straps is worth the risk of entanglement. I also carry a spare mask in a pocket when I dive solo or hunting.

I carry two masks...I had a skirt give out at about 90' once. No worries, I reached in my pocket and pulled out my spare. I hate having stuff wrapped around my neck, e.g. a neck tie. But I quickly got over that and carry my alt air on a neck bungee and when I am kicking out from a shore dive my mask is there. I have had students loose their masks with them on their heads and in rough surf I have lost gear or seen gear lost. Around the neck is where the mask should go if not on the face....IMO.:glad:

BTW...the GoPro strap does not sound appealing to me but what the heck...give it a try.

I have lost mine a few times and had to pull out my backup. mostly from people zooming by me and kicking me in the face with a fin because they are not watching where they are going. I have also lost one in a surf exit, ripped it right off my face and gone forever.

I tested the Spear pole leash and the gopro( I carry it with me everywhere diving) and it worked great. I would be willing to check this out. I know the one for my GP has saved it more than a few times!

I almost lost my mask at the North Wall in GC due to a guy with a camera who got too close to me just so he could get "that shot". I would have never seen it again. I can't keep paying $125+ for a mask.

I have lost mine a few times and had to pull out my backup. mostly from people zooming by me and kicking me in the face with a fin because they are not watching where they are going. I have also lost one in a surf exit, ripped it right off my face and gone forever.

I tested the Spear pole leash and the gopro( I carry it with me everywhere diving) and it worked great. I would be willing to check this out. I know the one for my GP has saved it more than a few times!

I almost lost my mask at the North Wall in GC due to a guy with a camera who got too close to me just so he could get "that shot". I would have never seen it again. I can't keep paying $125+ for a mask.

Great, I will send one out to you.

Same address I presume?

Looks like another item to get tangled up in, possibly wrapped around your neck, or get caught on something below and above the surface. Also if you have to remove your bcd to adjust something it would probably get your arm caught up in the shoulder strap. What about the leash rubbing against you all the time that seems like it would get annoying after a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom