Frameless mask for big nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oszillodrom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need advice please for choosing a frameless mask for my big nose. I will probably have to drive to Vienna for trying them on, so it would be nice to have a pre-selection of candidates.

For reference, the Cressi Big Eyes fits me perfectly; the Cressi F1, Oceanic Shadow and Hollis M1 don't, the top of my nose touches the nose pocket in those and hurts during the dive.

As a hobby photographer, field of view is important, low(is) volume would be nice.

My favourites to consider are the Atomic Frameless and the Scubapro Frameless, but I’m open to any other suggestions.

Last edited:
Look into Sherwood's 'Titan' or Tusa's 'Visualator'.....Neither are frameless and can be hard to find w/black skirts, but are large, low volume masks w/good field of vision and have a large nose 'pocket'....

Look into Sherwood's 'Titan' or Tusa's 'Visualator'.....Neither are frameless and can be hard to find w/black skirts, but are large, low volume masks w/good field of vision and have a large nose 'pocket'....

The Tusa Visualator is possibly the furthest thing in the world from being a "low volume" mask. I dove with one for a while when I first started diving. If you turned your head in any current, the mask would catch so much water that you could feel it being pulled off. Per the article at the link below testing wide-view masks "the Visualator is a large-volume mask, about twice as large as many in the test..."

The 12 Best Wide-View Masks | Scuba Diving

In all honesty, I'd say the Visualator is closer to being a Full-Face Mask than it is to being a low-volume mask.

masken_04_03.jpg

772194ff.jpg

If you want a Visualator I'll ship you mine... it hasn't been used since I replaced it with an Atomic Frameless.

As to the Titan... as the name implies, it is a large mask. Check out this video and see how many times the narrator uses the terms big, large, very big, huge, and HUGE in the span of 42 seconds.

[video=youtube;ku8g6eKGQNc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku8g6eKGQNc[/video]

If you want a Visualator I'll ship you mine... it hasn't been used since I replaced it with an Atomic Frameless.

No, thanks, as I said I already have a Cressi Big Eyes that fits me nicely, and is kind of medium volume, so I'm looking for a smaller mask. ;-) How roomy is the nose pocket on your Atomic Frameless?

No, thanks, as I said I already have a Cressi Big Eyes that fits me nicely, and is kind of medium volume, so I'm looking for a smaller mask. ;-) How roomy is the nose pocket on your Atomic Frameless?

It seems roomy enough for my nose... which I'd say is not unusually large, but is probably on the plus-side of normal.

Do note the Atomic masks come in two sizes: "Regular" and "Medium" with the latter being the smaller of the two sizes. Be sure you're trying the larger "Regular" size.

Back
Top Bottom