Fin showdown !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cib

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been trying to find a great fin for both travel and power.
I live in area of the world where I can not try before I buy and can only do so on trips abroad.
I would like a fin that can handle decent currents for diving in the Maldives but also something I can travel with without worrying about the weight.
I like to frog kick and intend on a fair bit of wreck diving so ruling out Splits (please no trying to convince me otherwise).
I'd consider myself in good shape so a stiff fin isn't an issue for me but obviously the easier the better!

I have tried Seawing Nova Gorillas - very nice but a bit of muscle strain felt the following day after a wreck dive.
I have tried Old Mares Avanti fins but wasn't impressed - couldn't generate much power for the leg strain required - are new versions a lot better?
My current fins are pretty bad (almost just snorkelling fins) and so I hope to get something fairly soon.
I have chosen function over weight in other areas such as the BP so can not really afford to do the same here so Jet Fins and Power Plana fins are out.

I am open to any other suggestions though.

Thanks and I apologise for ANOTHER 'which fin is best' post but can't find my answer in the others.

There are several Jet-like fins that are not as heavy. Hollis, OMS, UTD, and others.

I've tried the Holls F2 fins, F1 fins, power plana ... the foot pocket is just too big in each. I have no experience with OMS, UTD, 'and others'.

There's no such thing as "the perfect fin" only "the perfect fin for you". Get on any dive boat and you'll see everything including jets, splits, force fins, old fins, new fins, and so on. Guess what, they ALL work! I have yet to see anyone who couldn't make it back to the boat because their fins don't have enough thrust or they were too heavy.

I'll tell you what the fin problem is, its the same problem that people shopping for cars, TVs, guns and laptops have...too many choices!

Good luck!

for what you want, the Dive Rite XT is probably the best option. Hog Tech 2's are pretty good as well, but more jet fin like than the Dive Rites. The XT fin is very very common in cave country which should say a lot about its abilities. I don't use them because I haven't had a need to buy fins other than my jet fins, but have dove with them plenty of times and if I was in the market, they would probably be the first to buy.

I've tried the Holls F2 fins, F1 fins, power plana ... the foot pocket is just too big in each. I have no experience with OMS, UTD, 'and others'.

Try a smaller size. The "others" have similar sized foot pockets. You tried them with booties right?

I've dived both tropical reefs with current & Keys wrecks with Mares Wave fins. I have 80+ dives on mine in those types of conditions. They are a composite fin with stiff edges and a softer center channel. They are relatively light. They are not as compact as some of the "tec" fins, but they are maneuverable enough for frog, heliocopter, and back kicks and they handle current very well. I haven't had any cramping issues to date. They received some good press a couple of years ago, but I haven't read much about them since. Anyway, I have bungies on mine and I've been very happy with them. YMMV.

More info: I wear a size 9.5 US shoe. I use the regular size fin w/ a 3 mil bootie and they fit fine.

Last edited:
CIB-

I've got different fins for different dives... SP Twin jets for non current lazy lake dives where silting isn't an issue...I've got Turtles for Drysuit diving and wreckin...and I've got mares Superchannels for teaching and currents. My favorite?..The Superchannels. They give you EXACTLY what you give them. Very light, pack well, don't cramp me, do all the kicks I ask them to do..can even back up in them...and just plain work.

They don't cost alot..and IMO are ALOT of fin for about half the price of everybody else's "wonderfin". Generous comfortable pockets and fit true to size. I'd STRONGLY advocate you give them a try....jmo.

Bubs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom