How many of you really like to dive with a snorkel on your mask!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't get how people like to dive with a snorkel on their mask. Unless they have been so used to it when they actually snorkeled or practiced free diving prior to scuba diving. I was wondering is just me or do most of you prefer not to dive with out the snorkel on.
Of course during OW training they taught us to always have the snorkel on our mask as part of our gear, but is this really necessary?
I find it sometimes interfered with my head mobility, as it primarily was dangling off to the side of my head for about 99.9% of the time. I have to admit their might be a time one wanting to look down at the bottom to get a glimpse I would put my snorkel on and check it out ,instead of holding my breath for a few seconds. But for everything else it was just useless to me.

For example entering or exiting on a shore dive, the snorkel was more of a burden than an asset for this scenario. The other factor to consider is comfort. Which I find the snorkel not to appealing . I feel it is taking away from my comfort zone. I can't relax and feel good if I have something dangling around, next to my head and face mask the whole dive, can you?

I would like to find out who really likes to dive with their snorkel and why. Conversely I would like others, who don't prefer to use their snorkel to also chime in. That way I don't feel like I am doing something incorrect, or unsafe.

Last edited:
Most divers I know carry a foldable snorkel in case of emergency in a pocket... But wouldn't be caught dead wearing one unless teaching a class...

I don't like it on my mask unless I'm free diving I don't buy that line of it makes it easier to breathe with waves on the surface. That's what backgas is for if the waves are approaching huge go on backgas for the whole time from entry to back seated on the boat.

When travel diving i carry one in my bag as often will snorkel off boat between dives. When diving local it stays at home. As another posted said if entry/exit is dicey the reg doesnt leave my mouth. Ive been caught out a few times at the end of a dive when the weathers done a 180. After i first was qualified i religiously wore my snorkel until a guy on a boat once asked me why i did, his reasoning was better than mine, i removed it.

Snorkel debates rage on SB. Proponents like to snorkel on the surface (which is nice if you are swimming out over reef structure in fairly shallow water) and worry about choppy water (where I have never found a snorkel of any use). The naysayers dislike the device flopping alongside their face, dislike its tendency to make a mask leak when the strap is twisted, and find little use for a snorkel when submerged, which is where most diving takes place.

My personal experience is that I have done over 1000 dives in a variety of water conditions, and have never emergently needed or wanted a snorkel. I occasionally carry a rolled-up snorkel in my pocket, in case we run into dolphins after I have my gear off . . .

I used a snorkel last week for the first time in almost two years. We were swimming with the Whale sharks in Oslob and Scuba gear wasn't allowed. That was a lot of fun. We joked about trying to remember which side the device was worn on.

Snorkels really aren't compatible with a long hose for a primary donate regulator setup. They are fine for snorkeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snorkels are for snorkelers. I'm a diver. Never had a need for one. Maybe if I moved to Colorado I could use it for...

It's been there so long I don't even notice it. I was trained with snorkel on the right side

Back
Top Bottom