Cro Magnon man mask...part deaux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I posted a few months ago about having an impossible head to fit. Insanely deep eye sockets need a really deep skirt, dominate brow needs high volume mask to keep it off my forehead, and I guess a shallow bridge that most nose cups are uncomfortable at the top. Mares x-vision was the first mask I bought. Sealed fine but pressed on the bridge of my nose. I bought a XS Scuba Cortez made to fit larger faces and it is fine at shallow depths....but diving at 60 ft+ for extended periods it really gets uncomfortable.

After two almost hour each dives in Cozumel, it left a bruise and was swollen for a day. We only had one dive day on this trip but are going back in January for 4 days of diving.

i have tried on every mask at every store in The Oklahoma City area and Scubatoys. One lady had been fitting masks for 30 years and was genuinely offended that one of her 8 masks didn't fit...lol. Scuba toys was great service, but nothing fit there either, Thanks Samantha! My guess is I have tried well over 50 masks at this point.

Other than the old style sea quest oval masks...does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your response!!
jay

If it was really fine at shallow depths, it should be fine at deeper depths. I suspect you might not be completely equalizing the mask - i.e. experiencing a "mask squeeze".
Recommend you not give up on the Cortez yet. Try taking the mask deeper again, but be sure to equalize by periodically exhaling a bit through your nose into the mask until you get to your max depth.

Unless it is the "extended periods" that is critical. Did you try it for extended periods at shallow depths? Or only at greater depths?

Back
Top Bottom