Fins adapted for the frog quick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freewillow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have Mares Avanti Quattro and I do not like them for "frog quicking". Can one expert give me recommendations :crafty:. I am not a cave diver, more an open water diver. Thank you :kiss2:

This should be interesting: Are some paddle fins better suited than others for frog kicking? (I think it's widely believed that split fins are not as well suited as paddle fins for the frog kick, though even this has been the subject of some debate.) But is there a major difference among paddle fins, assuming they are reasonable stiff and not overly floppy? I am not even remotely an expert, so I await the replies with curiosity.

Oh boy, I can see this degenerating into another split-versus-paddle thread.

I have the quatro's and they work well for me. i dont use them much because i have jets i use also for the weight. Other than the jets with the flow throughs in the blades, the rest of the frog fins are pretty consistant in design. large flat stiff blade with large sidewalls to catch the water for back kicking. Neither of them i have problems with frog kicking forward, however when back frog kicking they both seem to work or fail me equally. The problem for me is not the fin but my trim. It is either right and backing up is so-so or not right and inpossible. I would think you may have technique/trim issues more than equipment issues. Back kicking is definately an aquired skill. If you can get some one to video you in the water. You most likely are not in trim you think you are.

I see no reason why those fins would not be good for frog kicks and anything associated with them like back kicks, helicopter turns or modified frog and flutter kicks. They are just a paddle fin. I'm guessing this is more a case of technique than anything. Most common mistake I see is people trying to power through the kick and working too hard at it. This means they are always moving their legs instead of a gentle kick and glide motion.

My impression is that the blades of may mares avanti quattro, 20 years old, are not stiff enough. But my technique, for sure, needs some major improvement :(

I have a bunch of different paddle fins, from Jets to Deep Sea Pulses that I use in the pool. They all work for frog kicking, but I don't like to use the soft ones (Pulses) in open water, because I can't generate much power with them. The stiffest fins I have are the Dive Rite EXPs, which are excellent for all the precision kicks but do take a bit more leg effort. Currently, my favorite fins are the Mares Power Planas, which seem to have the absolute perfect blend of stiffness and flexibility for doing precise kicking and also generating a ton of power when it's necessary.

If you want a fin that is lighter,stiffer and gives more propulsion w/less effort (frog kick) look at Divegearexpress's XT's......Even though your not a cave diver they are a favorite among cave divers for making the 'frog kick' easier on ankles/legs......

I really like my Mares Excel+ fins. They are a bit longer than most others, have good stiffness, and cup the water very well for the frog kick. For casual cruising along a reef, all I usually need to do is flip my ankles in a modified frog kick to move forward. I'm 6'-1" and 200 lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J2s, those are the dive rite fins mentioned above, Dive Rite had a thing for "EXP" a few years ago, and now they're on an XT phase.

The quattros are generally liked by the technical community for recreational type diving conditions or pool use. Not sure how the old ones compare to new ones though. The Dive Rite XT's will be closest in look and feel to the quattros but will give you a lot more propulsion. I prefer Jet Fin style fins, and use Jet Fins for drysuit diving and a set of Hog Tech 2's for wetsuit diving since the jets are very heavy in the water *this is for sidemount, in backmount the Jet Fins are all I use*.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom