Taiwan the new fin manufacturing Mecca?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Am in Tokyo today trying on some Mares Power Planas and Turbo Planas, to my surprise both are made in Taiwan. As with Jets, the Taiwan Turbo Planas are not the same as the ones I currently own. As with Taiwanese Jets the compound is softer. Of course I can't be sure but would bet Jets, Power Planas and Turbo Planas are coming out of same factory. Look, feel and texture to me seem the same between the Taiwanese Jets and Taiwanese Mares. I wonder how many other brands will move manufacturing to Taiwan. I'm guessing the move is financially driven which I get just wish the fin price would adjust accordingly. Cheers.

For anyone who's interested I'm a 6.5 US and wear size 8 Santi flex sole boots. The regular Power Planas are a tad too wide creating a small amount of lateral movement. If you don't like a snug fit the size is doable I would think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom