Red scuba mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So red lense scuba masks will probably bring out the color. Has anybody used these before? Anybody has cheap recommendations?

Well, the marketing hype is that it will “restore the red that is removed by the water”.
And yes, red is the color removed first as we descend.
But any tinting of a mask reduces the light that passes through it.
So, yes things might appear more red, but at the expense of other colors.
Your adaptive eye/brain will compensate for the overall reduction of light, but why does it matter if you see a bit more red? What about as you go deeper – how will you compensate for other colors being reduced?

So why not first consider your basic requirements? Why do you need to see more red? Will a flashlight meet your needs? It will restore other colors, too.

I second the flashlight. You want MORE light, not less.

Would I lose alot of light? My gopro w/ a red filter comes out very clear. Also, I will be diving around 40-50 ft for scallop so I was thinking that these masks will allow me to scope out the orange/red on the scallops more easily

I think everything would look a bit more red (or pinkish), so doubt it would enhance the contrast. But you really need what you first asked - has anybody used them and what is their experience.

How about the seadive coated masks + a good light?

From my experience with a wide beam video light, during day in tropical water w 20+M visibility, artificial lights only work for closeup & macro.

Well, SeaDive’s marketing says: “TrueColor lenses pick up colors normally lost underwater … ”
I just don’t buy it – for the reasons previously mentioned, and where’s that extra light energy coming from? Answer: it isn’t. It’s a sales pitch. An unsubstantiated assertion.
Alternatively, show me the science.

The thing is, when the red light is already lost through scattering and absorption, there is no way to restore that information. You will get a better, but darker overall picture, but you will not be able to pick out something that is red better, because you are indiscriminately adding red to the whole picture. It's kind of like doing white balance on your camera if you don't use your flash, after a certain depth the color information is simply lost and there is nothing you can do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom