Recommendation for Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ykenneth11

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the world of scuba diving, and would love to have any kind of advice before getting my first pair of fins.

As a photographer, I am sure I will do quite a lot of shooting underwater in the future, and I wanna be sure that the fins would be suitable for different kicks (especially back kicks?).
I've got my eye on the Mares Power Plana, does it sound good to you?

While I do the research, I've heard comment saying that rubber fins are heavy and affect the trim when diving with 3mm wet suit instead of dry suit. And they recommended the UTD Positively Bouyant Fin and OMS Slipstream for such applications. What do you think? cos I think mostly I will do my diving in warm water.

Lastly, I'm also interested in the Hollis F2 and Aeris Accel Fin, and would love to have your comments on them.
I understand that they are very different fins, but it seems I will need different fins for different applications in the future, and having a pair of travelling fins first also sounds a good idea.

Much thanks for your advice!!!!

You should try out a bunch of different fins and see. You have been given some good advice/correct info, but every diver is different. Some divers are head heavy so the heavier fins actually balance them out better.

From experience, the heavy rubber fins do make it more difficult to stay in trim, but some divers can stay in trim regardless, it just takes a little practice and focus on control.

I used Mares Avanti Quatros as my rec fin (used in the tropics and cold water) and I demoed the Power Planas in cold water. I felt they were very similar fins in terms of power and control and I didn't notice any big discrepancy in weight, although I wasn't really paying attention to that at the time.

I have no experience with the UTD or the OMS.

I don't know where you are located, but find a dive shop that has a pool and will let you test out different fins. Practice kicks, positions you might find yourself in while shooting, play around with tank placement to redistribute the weight and find the combination of trim, control, power, price, etc.

Dive Rite XT's are probably the best bang for the buck right now. Neutrally buoyant, easier to kick for flutter kicking at the surface than the paddle fins, stiff enough to back up in. The preferred fin by most sidemount cave divers, and the price is quite reasonable with spring straps included.

What position do you find yourself when doing most of your photography? I know several photographers that prefer a more vertical trim... and incorporate a SP Classic BC and heavy Jet fins.

I used Mares fins for years and totally loved them as a photographer and really appreciated the small nuanced moves that were possible to get in and out of tight spaces and optimal shooting positions. Then I spent many years with Atomic splits and really liked them, but for different reasons. I had to really work and relearn how to achieve some of those little adjusting kicks, but some of those finesse move were just not possible with splits. So being a traveling diver/photographer, last year I tested and then bought a pair of Accel travel fins and never looked back. They are not only light & short for travel, but they perform really well. I had actually forgotten how much I appreciated those little fin "twitches" while taking photos.

On a side note, I have also come to love the Accel straps. Super stretchy, and no buckles to break. The advantages of spring straps without the weight.

I have both the Accels and the F2s. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

I wear my F2s when I have to move a lot of equipment(tech, cave or wreck) They also work better here in the midwest where we wear drysuits. Disadvantage big and heavy for travel.

I wear my accels when I travel because they fit in a carryon if I need them too. Disadvantage don't work well in the midwest where I wreck dive and wear a drysuit.

So, I believe you wear the equipment that works best for you in the environment you're diving in.

I have both the Accels and the F2s. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

I wear my F2s when I have to move a lot of equipment(tech, cave or wreck) They also work better here in the midwest where we wear drysuits. Disadvantage big and heavy for travel.

I wear my accels when I travel because they fit in a carryon if I need them too. Disadvantage don't work well in the midwest where I wreck dive and wear a drysuit.

So, I believe you wear the equipment that works best for you in the environment you're diving in.

Did you mean Hollis F1s? The F2s are lightweight and small?

I like Hollis F1 also. Have few and looking to buy other pair for my son.
Unfortunately "standard the best" Scubapro Jet were not fit my boots/legs.
Hollis F1 were second priority in my instructor equipment recommendation list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom