My mask cracked :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snickerdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an Oceanic Ion 3 mask. It fits great and I've loved it. But on yesterday's dive trip, I noticed the frame is cracked in 4 places. :depressed: The mask still works (I did one dive with it and then tried out someone else's on the second dive since they sat it out) but I'm not comfortable relying on it long term.

So...I need a new mask. I'd go to a LDS and try some on and buy one there but my LDS is the internet. Are there masks that fit like the Ion 3 I can look into? I'm eyeballing the Atomic Frameless mask as a replacement. Are there others I should look into?

I'm not against ordering a couple different ones and trying them on and then sending back the ones I don't want. I'd rather not spend a boatload of money on a mask if I can avoid it though.

Ta! :flowers:

I have an Oceanic Ion 3 mask. It fits great and I've loved it. But on yesterday's dive trip, I noticed the frame is cracked in 4 places. :depressed: The mask still works (I did one dive with it and then tried out someone else's on the second dive since they sat it out) but I'm not comfortable relying on it long term.

So...I need a new mask. I'd go to a LDS and try some on and buy one there but my LDS is the internet. Are there masks that fit like the Ion 3 I can look into? I'm eyeballing the Atomic Frameless mask as a replacement. Are there others I should look into?

I'm not against ordering a couple different ones and trying them on and then sending back the ones I don't want. I'd rather not spend a boatload of money on a mask if I can avoid it though.

If it were my mask and it fit and worked even with the cracks.....I'd work some epoxy glue into those cracks and keep using it. But that's just me, most normal people would go buy a new one. I might also try to find the same kind of mask used on Ebay if I couldn't get it new.

Like my fins they aren't made any more but I find used pairs on Ebay and buy those. You might also consider carrying a spare mask for a while in case of failure. I carry a spare mask on every dive. A couple of dives ago my buddy forgot her mask. " Well try this one on sister". We went diving.

I have broke my mares frame mask , went to frame less , never back again.

defenitelly look on scubapro frameless 1 or gorilla ( more rectangular -but very wide angle of view ) or bare frameless (more oval - nice for pocket and smaller)

Take a look at our "mini" mask. It is very low volume and this puts the glass very close to your eyes. This means that you have EXCELLENT visibility (both side to side and up and down). This mask has been very popular and if it does not fit, we accept returns.

MAKO sells direct.. so without the typical retail store, our prices can be very competitive.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Minimus-Mini-Freedive-Mask-p/mmm.htm

MMM-2.jpg

mmm-side-view_dtl.jpg

mmm-buckle-mount_dtl.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom