Why Use a High Volume Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to understand why scuba divers often seem to choose higher volume masks over lower volume ones.

Freedivers place a very high value on a low volume mask because at depth it can take a considerable amount of their air reserve to equalize the mask. Less volume is definitely better for them. Scuba divers have an unlimited air supply, so the volume required for equalization is not much of an issue (I get that).

However, low volume masks SEEM to have zero negatives and also provide other benefits to both the scuba diver and freediver.

In my experience, a very low volume mask is easier to clear, less susceptible to being pulled by a strong current (or kicked loose) and since the glass is placed very close to the eyes, the visibility is BETTER than a typical “scuba mask”. There is also no compromise in fit or comfort or quality of materials/ construction.

I know that the availability of corrective lenses are a big issue for some divers and of course the most important aspects of a mask are fit and comfort, but I see some big advantages with the new low volume masks for scuba divers.

So my question is: Why does it seem that low volume masks have had a rather slow acceptance into the scuba market?

Thanks!

Dano

Claustrophobia I think.
Some new divers THINK that that they will be more comfortable with one as far as visibility goes.
My first real SCUBA mask (that I bought in 1988 or so after already diving for 10 years), was a Dacor Vista with "side windows" and a clear silicone skirt.
I liked it for a while, but soon moved on to a black skirted Tusa Liberator clone, the Sea Vision 2000, with prescription red lenses.
Immediate payback.
No glare on the surface, better focus when submerged with it.
I have been diving this style of mask since the early '90's.
Either way.....
I tell people to buy what fits.
Buy what you like.
Enjoy what you got.

Chug
Has a garage full of various masks.

Last edited:
Prescription lens.

I end every dive with air left over. Worrying about the miniscule amount in my mask is irrelevant.

Well for me, I started using a usdivers wraparound because I liked the visibility better than the other masks out at that time. After I grew my beard which I had for a loooooooong time, I preferred the wraparound because I never got a really good seal and it didn't matter how much water leaked in I could still see perfectly. when I shaved the beard the wraparound didn't fit anymore so I bought a low volume mask and I won't go back. it did take a lot of air to clear that bigass mask. I do feel nostalgic for it sometimes.

I use a low volume for freediving and a high volume for Scuba. The high volume is more comfortable for long periods, probably because it has a wider seal. It is also more forgiving of small amounts of water that leaks in, reducing the frequency of clearing. I have a very hard time finding a low volume to fit my face and have never been able to get a two-lens mask to seal well.

Since for many the perfect "never leak" mask is an illusive dream the lower volume masks which serve to amplify the effect of leakage can be a nuisance to some. Many can try on a wall of masks before finding the Cinderella fit. If the best fit is not low volume guess what the choice will be?

A quality mask that is working well for a diver can last a good long time so the "bought and paid for" feature is attractive.

Scuba gear in particular has a multitude of decision points, often with no single right answer. Don't be concerned with why the world isn't falling in line with your choice.

Of course be sure to dive with a BP+W, Jet fins, APEKS regulator to be technical or HOG to be frugal, LP steel cylinders so you can get 2X fills, and have your compass & computer on your wrists.

Pete

... Many can try on a wall of masks before finding the Cinderella fit…

I wish I could find a mask on just one wall of masks. It usually requires visiting 5-6 shops before finding a freediving mask that works — though there are always lots of duplicates. Most any high volume mask fits fine.

I don't see the air used to clear a mask as being much of a problem. The air used is on an exhale, for me anyway, I took a breath and was going to exhale the air anyway.

I have a micro mask as a backup(in the dive bag) and have used a Datamask on almost all of my dives, except for the time I left the datamask sitting on the desk in the room at the hotel. I also use the micro mask when I dive using my Kraken, I use an spg on it. (see profile picture)

I guess I must be lucky because most any mask fits me reasonably well and I hardly ever have to clear my mask, except for when that little bit of hair gets under the skirt from my mustache or my forehead.

So my question is: Why does it seem that low volume masks have had a rather slow acceptance into the scuba market?

I am surprised by the assertion that low volume masks have a slow acceptance.

When I used to teach in my old shop, I would take students around the floor to look at gear. When It talked about masks, I talked about the difference between high volume and low volume masks, and I showed them the difference in the models on the wall.

I am with a different shop now, and they have even more masks on the wall. I don't talk much about the difference between high volume and low volume, though, because they don't have any high volume masks. The highest volume mask there would still be labeled low volume in my book. I was getting the sense that high volume masks were going away.

I prefer size 8 hats for the same reason that my masks are relatively high volume: they fit. I have a big head, prominent forehead, and wide-set eyes. The frameless masks I've tried were a joke. The glass hit the tip of my nose before the mask's skirt seated fully on my face. I've had the same problem with low-volume masks. They are absurdly small, uncomfortable, ridiculous. Some actually touch the outer corners of my eyes when they are not pressed against my face. I have non-standard head/face dimensions, and so do lots of others.

It's all about comfortable fit and a good seal. I wear goggles when playing racquet ball. Diving is obviously something completely different. Masks have, over the past few decades, been getting smaller, as has the average diver for a number of obvious reasons. Tusa still makes a couple of nice big masks that I use for scuba and snorkeling/moderate free diving. I keep a couple in reserve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom