Best fins for frog kicking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tothedepths

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for opinions on fins that give the best propulsion while frog kicking. I would also like them to work well with flutter kicks and maneuverability. Strong propulsion is what I am ultimately seeking

I'd recommend either the hollis F1s or F2s. F1s are solid and give great propulsion but are heavy, no issue for some but if it is an issue for you for reasons like trim or travel weight then check out the F2s. Again they have very good propulsion, allow amazing control and even back finning is not hard with them

D23_P1010119.jpg

D22_P1010118.jpg

Jetfins seem to be the most popular.

If you want light but strong then OMS slipstreams or UTD neutrals. If you want heavy and strong SP Jets, F1's, UTD negatives, AL rockets, turtles.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would anybody recommend using F1's over jets? Or are jets pretty much just the best you can get

look at Dive Rite's XT's.....Favorite of cave divers who use the 'frog kick'.....Light weight. spring straps, good propulsion....I use to use F1's. but found the XT's to be easier on ankles/legs w/the frog kick and gave better propulsion.......

Would anybody recommend using F1's over jets? Or are jets pretty much just the best you can get

Where I dive everyone is basically on Jets, F1s, or the XT's. I dive F1s, but a buddy and I switched fins and I tried his Jets. The Jets were lighter and pretty good with the frog kick. My buddy said he liked the F1s better than he thought he would and that they had better propulsion. I didn't really notice a difference in propulsion, but I wasn't doing a real side by side comparison, I was more taken back with how much lighter they felt after getting used to my F1s. It is all personal preference and doesn't really matter one way or the other once you move into that class of fin.

Jet fins, if you have not tried them on, have a really uncomfortable foot pocket, especially if you have high instep like me, F1 are much easier on the foot. I still had to upsize in F1s, the foot pocket feels a bit floppy, but better floppy than feeling like someone trying to saw your feet off. Also, if you dive doubles, you want heavy fins to compensate for head-heaviness of doubles.

F1s by Hollis or OMS Slipstreams

I'm going to plug the Mares Power Planas. I have used Jets and Dive Rite EXPs, and I get every bit of the precision from the Jets with the Mares, and far more power than with either, with less leg fatigue. I love those fins . . . they are slightly negative, but not profoundly so, at least when used the with rubber straps they come with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom