are clear-skirt masks doomed to yellow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to get an atomic frameless mask with a clear skirt for my wife (and my backup when she isn't using it :wink: ), but I hate to think that I could buy a $100 mask and it will turn yellow after some use. Is there a way to prevent this? What is happening exactly that causes this?

Thanks.

Anecdotally keeping it away from rubber may help but generally crystal silicone is a fleeting concept.

As far as I've seen, yes. Keeping it out of the sun helps slow it down, I hide mine under a fin or put away in my hood with my gloves whenever I am not wearing it. The only way I've seen it avoided is to buy a black mask skirt on your next mask.

Bob
------------------------------------------------------
I honestly feel I'm a better diver now. I learned to respect the ocean the hard way. One swallow at a time. Mark Derail

I hate to think that I could buy a $100 mask and it will turn yellow after some use. Is there a way to prevent this?

Yes. Buy a used one that is already yellow for much less than the $100 version.

I have an Atomic clear mask, it's got to be pushing 6+ years and no yellowing so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

keep it out of the sun and away from black rubber and other chemicals.

every now and then (5 years?) give it a soak in bleach followed by a light scrub. this takes off the surface crap (oxidation?).

but they will still yellow a bit. you can tell my 25 year masks are not brand new, but still in great shape with very little yellowing.

why buy a clear mask? They are absolutely horrible..... Was diving with one all of last week *long story, but it is my rx mask and was given to me*, and the glare from it was infuriating.

Explorer II Frameless Mask " Titanium Frame w/ Titanium Color Skirt"
also, that is a really damn good mask, price aside, but with the price it makes it that much better.....

I think it may seem a bit less claustrophobic but........ it doesn't look any cooler than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom