Suggestion on a new diver mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey guy,
I recently started diving about 8-9 weeks ago, loving it so far!
Before now I have been using my Scuba Clubs mask but am deciding to take the leap and start purchasing some equipment. I was looking at getting a mask, fins and boots, starting with the mask :)

Bit overwhelming when choosing a mask as there is quite a few different ones but the one I see keep cropping up is the cressi big eyes. After looking into them there is a couple that looked quite good for price:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cressi-Fram...d=1417024931&sr=8-1&keywords=cressi+frameless
Cressi Big Eyes Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Mask - Blue: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
Cressi Big Eyes Evolution Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Mask - Dark Blue: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cressi-Evol...qid=1417025010&sr=8-4&keywords=Cressi+Big+Eye

Price is always a factor and the less I spend on the mask the more I have on the other things, but the mask is kind of one the main things you buy.
I currently only dive weekly in the local pool which is about 6m deep and there are a couple of scheduled diving trips (around 2) in the coming year and a summer trip as well.
The price difference between the clear Cressi Big Eye, is probably the most between them and the big eye evolutions, however the clear skirt means it will go yellow in the future, instead for a bit more I can get the black scirt evolution or the crystal silicon big eye evolution.

Any thoughts and recommendations? :wink:

Thanks in advance
-Thesmallsmith

Have you had an opportunity to try those masks? No mask fits all faces and no face fits all masks.

Unfortunately I haven't, the nearest scuba shop is a good hour away, Amazon usually has quite good return policies so worst case scenario I can also return it.

Unfortunately I haven't, the nearest scuba shop is a good hour away, Amazon usually has quite good return policies so worst case scenario I can also return it.

Please consider this mask: It fits a very broad selection of people. If you buy it and you are not happy with the fit (or anything else about it) we accept returns.

Thanks!
Dano

Minimus "Mini" Freedive Mask

MMM-2.jpg

Some people are lucky and seem to have generic faces (like me) and can wear pretty much any mask out there, others however, have hard-to-fit faces and a devil of a time getting a mask to fit at any price. We really can't predict/diagnose over the WWW which mask/masks will end up fitting you. No harm in taking advantage of Dano's kind offer. If I had to off the top of my head guess a successful mask for you, it would be the Atomic Aquatic frameless (comes in 2 sizes). Another mask I've had great success with, as my primary mask and as a loner mask to a few needy divers over the years, is the Apollo Bio Mask and I'd bet the Apollo Bio mask would also work. It's running $ 99 on sale now @ Scubatoys.com, the Atomic is pretty close @ about $ 110, without factoring in an possible Black Friday sales.

It may turn out that an hour's drive each way may be a good long term investment to get something you KNOW will fit, as if you cut corners by guessing/hoping it fits you may later on really kick yourself!

Thanks for the input :)
One of the reasons for getting it off Amazon was I have a £60 gift card waiting to be used, will help nicely pay all of not most of the mask, however the mask linked above looks excellent.
Just a quick question MAKO Spearguns, do you have a UK store are you just based in the US?
Thanks in advance
-Thesmallsmith

When I first started diving I went thru four different masks ranging in price from $75USD to $200USD. A couple for their cool looking lens in the dive shop and the rest based of internet recommendations. None seem to keep all of the water out all of the time. Then on Tourist dive in the Dubai Aquarium I used one of their rental masks and it fit great. So much that I left the aquarium/mall and took a taxi to the dive shop and bought their last remaining mask...slightly used for 120AED or about $40USD. I love this mask so much I bought a second one this past year. I now have over 400 dives on the first mask and about 150 on the spare.

The point I am trying to make is you can spend a lot of money on a mask that fits someone else on the internet that does not fit you the way you want it to. Try all different masks at a dive shop and if possible get in the water and see which one fits you.

I am am not going to tell you which mask it is that I like best..because to be honest this mask fits "me" and I do not want you to buy my mask, but instead, buy one that fits you. If the nearest dive shops are over a hour away, take the trip and make a fun day out of it. I cannot stress enough NOT to buy a mask over the internet until you have tried that particular brand/style on in "PERSON". Once you get your mask and you dive with it and really like it then go ahead and buy a spare on line.

Good luck with the mask search...and welcome to diving.

P.S. Use the Amazon gift card for other cool dive gear...I would consider applying it towards a Suunto's Zoop dive computer...great intro computer and is reasonably priced.

~Oldbear~
:)

Thanks for the input :)
One of the reasons for getting it off Amazon was I have a £60 gift card waiting to be used, will help nicely pay all of not most of the mask, however the mask linked above looks excellent.
Just a quick question MAKO Spearguns, do you have a UK store are you just based in the US?
Thanks in advance
-Thesmallsmith

We are located in Fredericksburg Virginia. We sell our gear world wide, however there are some distribution agreements that I have made with respect to certain spearguns. We accept PayPal for international orders.

Thanks!

Dano

Before you spend a fortune on a brand name mask be sure and check out the masks at Vintage Double Hose. Their VDH masks are very reasonable priced and the service is excellent.

Check out this simplified article I wrote recently on selecting a mask. Clicky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom