Havent used my mask in 8 years - do I need to replace it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PStrangerX

Registered
Reaction score
It's been 8 years since my last dive and I have a dive trip planned in a few months. My old mask has been sitting in its container in my dresser.

I just brought it out and it seems fine. I'd hate to be underwater and discover the seal doesn't work though. Should it be fine or do I need to purchase a new mask?

(Its a prescription mask so replacing it is a little pricier than normal)

Do you have access to a pool, maybe even a pool at a local dive shop? Might be good to do a test dive to check out your mask, any other of your gear you plan to bring, and refresh you basic dive skills too.

If those options are not available/practical, you can always try attaching mask to face (without using the mask strap) and inhaling slightly to see if you get a good seal, meaning the mask sticks to you face with the light vacuum force generated by the slight inhale, without you having to hold the mask in place with either the mask strap or you hand.

Is it ok to test it in my pool or are pool chemicals bad for scuba gear?

I do plan on taking a refresher course as well.

When I returned to diving a few years ago, after a similar gap, I arranged for a pool session to double check my gear (and a medical issue). My first try was quite the surprise when my drysuit crumbled in my hands!!! My next attempt was successful, though, & I've been getting lots of bottom time since.

If your mask stays on with a little nose suction it's probably OK, but a little time tooling around a pool wouldn't hurt. Replacing the straps and your heel straps would be prudent, regardless.

Is it ok to test it in my pool or are pool chemicals bad for scuba gear?

I do plan on taking a refresher course as well.

Chlorine in pools is generally bad for scuba gear, but, that being said, for the brief pool test intervals we're talking about, I wouldn't worry about chlorine in this circumstance, just rinse off the mask with fresh water afterwards. Getting a fresh mask strap may be a good idea as well, as another poster suggests, depending on it's condition.

Certainly test in the pool, but I wouldn't necessarily expect anything to be wrong with an 8 year old mask as long as it wasn't stored in awful conditions - and it sounds like yours wasn't. I've used each of my masks longer than that. (Once people find a mask that fits, they tend to hold onto it for as long as possible.)

If you do decide there's an issue, the lenses may come out and you could possibly find the same model mask to put them in.

Pool chemicals are bad for scuba gear however, it is all dependant on time so don't continually dive in the pool. I use my gear in the pool when testing and I have not seen a problem. If you are an instructor in the pool all the time for classes it will take a toll.

Check out the mask, it could be as good as it was when you put it up.

Bob

Great advice, everyone! If I do end up getting a new mask, does anyone know if lenses that have been bonded to an old mask can be transferred to a new mask?

I would be very surprised if you needed a new mask, assuming it was stored in reasonably stable conditions. My current primary mask is 16 years old and is in great shape. It has been used in instruction in pools hundreds of times. About 30 years ago I bought a decent, but not great mask. I used it to do some work in a lake in New Jersey where we had a summer cabin. I left it there, just tossed in a storage room. It went through every freezing winter without any protection. I used it every year when I went there. We sold the place a couple of years ago, and I brought it home to Colorado. It's stuck in a closet somewhere. I bet I could take it out and use it tomorrow.

It's been 8 years since my last dive and I have a dive trip planned in a few months. My old mask has been sitting in its container in my dresser.

I just brought it out and it seems fine. I'd hate to be underwater and discover the seal doesn't work though. Should it be fine or do I need to purchase a new mask?

(Its a prescription mask so replacing it is a little pricier than normal)
You have raised several issues...

a) is my old mask crap? Nope! Yours has not been subjected to nasty sunlight. It should be fine, unless it was crap when you bought it. The materials in a modern quality mask will last many, many years (my current mask is 25 years old).

b) does the seal work? Maybe - has your face changed? The mask's ability to seal is likely just fine, but it fit your face 8 years ago. Is your face the same fit? Certain parts of my body are larger than they used to be. You could try the standard dry land training test of placing it on your face without the strap and inhaling...

c) is my prescription still good? You can answer this. Has your prescription changed? Significantly? If so, then oops. If not then, you should be good to go.

Late Question:
1) can prescription lens be rebonded to a new mask? Is the lens "bonded" or "custom ground"? My divebuddy first mask was custom ground lens, not an extra lens bonded to a flat scuba lens. So she had no ability to transfer the lens.

She recently bought a new mask, sent it away for prescription work that ended up as an extra lens bonded to the original mask lens. No idea if the bonded lens can be tranferred to another mask. Please ask your original supplier and let us know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom