Prescription mask help (with an astigmatism)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Six Feet Under

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have an Evo prescription mask I got from Diver's Direct in Key West a number of years ago. Works fine, but I want to make it a back-up and get a new mask (preferably black) so I can have two available during cavern/cave training in a few months, just in case. Obviously each mask's fit is different for each person, but who makes/sells prescription glass/inserts available for those of us with an astigmatism?

I checked Dive Gear Express and their site said their lenses don't correct for an astigmatism. Then again, I don't know if the Evo lenses correct for that either so I may have been more blind than necessary for a long time. lol

I currently have an Evo prescription mask I got from Diver's Direct in Key West a number of years ago. Works fine, but I want to make it a back-up and get a new mask (preferably black) so I can have two available during cavern/cave training in a few months, just in case. Obviously each mask's fit is different for each person, but who makes/sells prescription glass/inserts available for those of us with an astigmatism?

I checked Dive Gear Express and their site said their lenses don't correct for an astigmatism. Then again, I don't know if the Evo lenses correct for that either so I may have been more blind than necessary for a long time. lol

You'll have to get the lenses made and installed (they glue in with an optical cement) into a normal mask. They're ground with a flat front for this purpose.

Almost any optician can do it.

flots

Good to know... thanks for the quick answer. :)

I've upgraded probably 60% of my gear in the last six or eight months to get it more geared toward tech diving... new BC, new tanks, new regs, new suit, new mask, on and on and on.

I'm confused... I thought any corrected lenses corrected for that issue as well... I have the same problem and was just given a (VERY LITE) script to correct the issue...

Flots Am, are you referring to any corrected lens or ones specifically for astigmatism??

Tim

A correction for an astigmatism is made with reference to the axis of the astigmatism. The lens must be oriented true to the axis or the view will be blurry.

I have astigmatism, and had lenses put into my mask. I used a company out of San Diego, Prescription Dive Mask. I just obtained my prescription and sent it to them along with my mask. They provided instructions on centering your pupils and marking the centers on the mask. The lenses are bonded to the inside of the mask and it works great. Sorry I waited 20 years to do this.

I'm confused... I thought any corrected lenses corrected for that issue as well... I have the same problem and was just given a (VERY LITE) script to correct the issue...

Flots Am, are you referring to any corrected lens or ones specifically for astigmatism??

Tim

Any lens can be used, astigmatism or not. All you need is a mask you like and a prescription and an optician who knows what to do.

That said, if either eye has a really strong prescription, you'll probably be happier with single-use contacts, since the bonded lenses have a smaller "sweet spot" as they get stronger.

flots

Well, I hate contacts (that's why I'm still wearing glasses... I've tried them several times and can never get them back in my eyes after I get home and take them out) and my vision is like -450... lol

Your best option is go pick out a mask that fits you really well, any good quality mask with tempered glass lenses and then send it here with a copy of your prescription:

Prescription Dive Masks

Questions? Call Linda Young, the owner. She is very knowledgeable and a fan of ScubaBoard. Tell her I said hi. :wavey:

Do keep your plain lenses. I know folks who have later had surgery then not needed the Rx lenses anymore.

Back
Top Bottom