Need advice on best fins for birthday present

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucy86

New
Reaction score
My boyfriend is going to be doing his PADI training and a 1 year course in marine conservation to then potentially go on to a career ..so although he will be a beginner I'm looking for some good quality, lasting fins for a leaving / birthday present.

I've done my PADI advanced but only about 20 dives and just used the kit supplied so I have no idea what's good! I know he wants open fins to wear boots with. His leg muscles are strong from regular pool swimming and football etc so I don't think he will require anything designed for less fit beginners.

I've looked at the Aqua Lung Sling Shot but I've seen mixed reviews on his...and also the Mares Volo Power which looks good except the strap as been reported to break / be flimsy.

Can anyone recommend a decent fin to get? Price isn't an issue as it's an important birthday and don't want to buy him something that will fall apart or cause problems!

some of these - I have turtle fins (little softer and bit lighter as jet fins ) , holis i think is lighter as turtles (neoprene rubber fin ). Which fins?

DirDirect :: Fins & Straps

but you have to choose right foot pocket Aloha Shore Divers

PS: with these fins you simply can't miss ;-))

I would recommend SCUBA Pro Seawing Nova they come in different colors now but they also have a Gorilla version they range from USD 210 - 250. They are good powerful fins almost comparable to the jet fins but the Seawing Novas are quite light. I would not recommend the Aqua Lung sling shots, I have had a pair which are only used as a back up or loaner to a friend if needed; I did like them at first as they were quite powerfull but they were quite heavy and I found myself becoming fatigued at times. I have had to replace numerous bands after swimming against extreme currents and also on the surface with and with out chop. The other issue is the bottom of the foot pockets tend to separate from the sides of the pockets, this started happening to mine after about 250 dives and I have noticed this on other divers fins as well.

Dive Rite XT fins are probably the best overall fins out there. I don't have them or use them because I have the leg power to move Jet Fins around and prefer the weight, but if I were starting from scratch I would have a set. I got a set of Aqualung Quattros for free so I use that for my pool fins and travel fins, but if I had to buy, the XT's would get the nod. High quality, great CS from the company, supporting a small company instead of a massive corporation, include spring straps, and the price is right. You will see many recommendations for this fin from the cave diving and sidemount diving communities, and with good reason, it is probably the best overall fin on the market. About $150 USD, so about 100 quid depending on what shops are charging over there.

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - XT Fins

It's pretty telling - not in a good way - that Aqualung lists replacement power bands alongside the Slingshot fins at the top of their web page.

I think the Mares Volo Power are lighter weight also.
Ideal for women, kids and all divers who want the easiest kicking fins in the market.

From the link Lucca posted I also like the Hollis F1/F2 Fins. I believe the F1's are available with optional yellow tips. Makes it easier to ID a diver underwater. Hollis is the "tech" line of AUP, the same people who own Aeris/Oceanic.

They also sell the Atomic Blade fins as well. They're pretty new so I haven't seen a lot of feedback on them yet.

Don't buy him split-fins though - they're really hard to back up in.

This probably isn't what you want to hear but I think scuba gear, especially core gear like fins, are a very personal choice and I would want to pick my own. Get him a gift card with specific directions to use for fins. Let him choose which ones.

But if you want more specific, don't get the Sling Shots, too gimmicky. I also don't recommend heavy fins like the F1's. I would recommend a good quality fin that can be used in a variety of conditions and kicks. The Dive Rite XT would probably be a good choice and I like the Mares Quattro plus with the new bungee straps.

+1 for letting him choose. Who knows, he might even prefer Force Fins.

While it's nice to have something physical to wrap up, fins (like much dive gear) are a rather personal choice. It can be hard enough to pick the right fins for _yourself_ sometimes. It would be a shame to get him something that's not really right, but he may not want to tell you. Unless he's specifically talked about fins he wants maybe get something small you can wrap up, along with a gift certificate to someplace with a good selection. Maybe you could fit a gift certificate into something like this - Mini Tank O-Ring Kit with Pick

Don't play around... Scubapro jet fins.... Spring straps... Last a lifetime...

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom