Losing fin, is it common and how can I prevent it from happening again!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I went out recently on a night dive, as I was doing a shore entry, some how I lost one of my fins. I can't believe it happened! I remember holding on to them and as I was getting ready and timing the surf I looked at my empty hand and yelled #&%#^^^ bleeep. I quickly took my light out and looked around but it was no use. It was a cool Tusa split fin. (if anyone at beacons leucadia CA finds a size large Tusa yellow and black split fin please pm and let me know what beer to buy!!!)

My question to you guys is :Has this happened to you before and what have you done to minimize this from happening again.
Has it happened more than once to you!!

I am pretty sure this area could use some type of security.I'm just not certain on what type of item can be practical enough and also protect you from losing your fins.

Perhaps those of you who found a good system of never losing your fins can share your tips with everyone.

If those of you think I should create something to help solve this, please chime in, if there is a need ,its always good to create something that solves a problem or concern.

Split fin? Thank heavens it is gone! Those things will kill you.

But a little more info: how where you "holding" your fins? Did you grip it like a beer?

We do not do "shore entries" but do lots of boat exits in rough water where we need to doff our fins prior to boarding. Common practice is to hang the fins on your arm by sticking your arm through the fin straps and pushing the fins up past your elbow.

With my fins on my arm there is no way they can go missing unless a strap breaks.

Maybe your strap broke?

Split fin? Thank heavens it is gone! Those things will kill you.

But a little more info: how where you "holding" your fins? Did you grip it like a beer?

We do not do "shore entries" but do lots of boat exits in rough water where we need to doff our fins prior to boarding. Common practice is to hang the fins on your arm by sticking your arm through the fin straps and pushing the fins up past your elbow.

With my fins on my arm there is no way they can go missing unless a strap breaks.

Maybe your strap broke?

On this time around I believe I had both fins through one arm, because I was needing my hand to put reg in my mouth because the surf was picking up. When I saw the timing was good I was getting ready to put on my fins when I noticed I had only one fin left. The surf was pretty strong and the fin strap perhaps came undone.

Have you ever lost a fin before, its a bummer...

Maybe u put a luminous tab on your fin. So at least u lose it. U can find it.

Another way is to get a big carabinier and hook the fins through hook on your BCD d ring. Free up your hands to wear the mask and reg. Then slow one by one put on your fins

I'm an old fart and I have trouble with flexibility even though I stretch every evening. Reaching far enough to don and doff my fins barehanded is iffy. I made a bungie lanyard for my wrist with a big brass "suicide clip" on the end just long enough to hook on the strap. Then if I drop the fin putting it on or taking it off it doesn't escape. I stow the lanyard in a pocket when not in use.

It's definitely easier to hold on to spring straps. They won't come undone.

Lost a fin coming through some surf a while back, had spring straps but got knocked over
Got a fin holder thingy and clip them on before I hit the surf zone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom