Newbie...needs help with fins,mask,and snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubarn0203

Reaction score
Hi,

Since I am new to this site and to this hobby,I thought that now was the time to ask for assistance.My diving class starts in about 3 weeks and I need some help selecting the "right" equipment.After doing some reading here, I am leaning toward the scuba pro jet fins,but have know idea what to do about the snorkel and mask(except I want the purge mechanism for both these pieces of equipment).Although the scuba store where I am taking my class has a "student discount package" that includes the mask,fins,snorkel and wgt belt for about $150.00,I still wanted to do some homework. But being a newbie, I didn't know if that was reasonable or what...........plz help!!

scubarn0203 (ed)

Well, being a newbie myself I have no idea if you want to hear from me. But, here's my 2 cents. I bought my equipment from the dive shop I was taking my lessons from for a few reasons.

1. I saw stuff cheaper online, but, you can't try stuff on online. Fit is very important.
2. If it didn't work out in the confined water dives, they'd exchange it.
3. That's what these guys do. If they dive themselves, they aren't going to give you bad advice.
4. I also received a "new student" discount.

Good luck!

I'll throw in my .02.

All scuba quality gear, which you'll get at the LDS.
With all the gear you want it to be comfortable more than anything. I spent 90.00 on my first mask and like it, but wish I would have bought one they have now at my LDS for 60.00. Some masks will have a down angled lens that lets you see more on your waist and chest, which is very nice. Try it on and make sure you can see clips and buckles on your BC as well as possible.
I have apollo bio fins, which are great, but if you have strong legs you can over kick them if fighting a current and I am looking at larger, single blade fins. I was going to get some cressi frog fins, but the shop is no longer a dealer and I want to wear their gear for instruction.
I bought a basic snorkel on sale for class and instruction and it is only used in the pool and with students. When I dive I never wear a snorkel, but it also depends on where you will be diving.
Good luck, but make sure everything is comfortable and if you think you'll ever get a drysuit try to get fins that fit well and are large enough to accommodate drysuit boots.

Is there a particular reason you want the purge mask and snorkel? They may sound good in theory before you have started diving, and some people do love them, but most consider the purge another point of failure. If you're snorkeling and a piece of sand or something gets in there it's easier to deal with on the surface, UW it's a real pain to have a mask with essentially a hole. Some purge styles can also interfere with pinching your nose when you need to do that. I was an avid snorkeler before diving and it seemed like a good idea for that, but it's easy to clear a non-purge mask while diving and I wouldn't want a purge, myself.

As far as a purge snorkel, these are great for actual snorkeling and since I still snorkel fairly often that's what I have. But in most places you'll probably find you rarely if ever use your snorkel when diving. You will probably quickly find you don't want it attached to your mask while diving (creates drag, something to tangle, and may cause your mask to leak), you will more likely stuff it in a pocket or strap it someplace if you decide you need to take it along at all. In those cases something cheap and simple with less bulk and bumps might be a better choice.

I would also recommend that you buy from the dive store, as mask fit is very important. My first mask had a purge valve, which was nifty, but I later changed to a non-purge mask, since the purge got in my way of equalizing easily. I would also recommend to just get a simple snorkel. As noted above, they are good for snorkeling, but can be a pain at depth. Especially "dry" snorkels, which have a capped top, which can (I have heard) trap air and be double the pain underwater. I think I spent in the neighborhood of $180, which included boots. Does your scuba shop package include boots? These are necessary for open heel fins, which most people use.

scubarn0203:
but have know idea what to do about the snorkel and mask(except I want the purge mechanism for both these pieces of equipment)
On the purge snorkle: Just about any but the absolute cheapest Walmart snorkle with have a simple purge on it. I'm assuming you mean you want a dry snorkle. Dry snorkles are great for snorkling if you intend to do that. If not, save your money, you'll proably stop carrying the snorkle after your first 4 dives anyway and if you don't you'll won't want some huge dry snorkle flopping around on your dive.

On the purge mask: I highly recomend avoiding these. It is very easy to purge a mask. It takes some people a few tries to get it down in shallow pools but once you do it is easy as pie. Adding a purge valvle to a mask creates a completely unnecissary failure point. Additionally many purge valves make it difficult to equalize.

The most important thing about a mask is fit. Your LDS can show you how to fit it to your face. I prefer lower profile masks to those big ones with 300 windows in them. I also prefer a black skirt, but many do not.

James

Just a note on the black skirt-- it will never discolor like a clear skirt will. My mask is nearly a year old, and though it works great, the clear silicone turned a nasty-looking brown color. My next mask will have a black skirt strictly for this reason. Also, clearing a snorkel is easy, either by the blast method or the displacement method (which I prefer). I spent $10 on my snorkel, and I don't feel like I need anything more advanced. Remember-- the more parts there are, the more parts there are to break. Happy diving:)

For your first package I would buy from dive shop (mask fit is very important), but do not be suckered into a package that you do not want.

I would go with a mask and a snorkel that both have a purge valve. Yes there are more failure points, but nothing is more annoying than trying to clear a snorkel without a purge in choppy water.

For a snorkel I would go with an Aqualung impulse 2 (flex or solid) this snorkel is absolutely fantastic I wouldn't use anything else.

I would recommend masks by ocean master, though the replacement straps are pricey $19.99USD. the mask is equipped with a purge valve that I have never had a problem with and the Q-strap is very comfortable. BTW the straps are about three times as durable as most mask straps. I've had mine for two years and it still looks brand new. (Remember fit is important, if you like it and it wont fit dont buy it)

As for fins I would try as many as possible to see what works for you. Mares Avanti Quatro are great, but stay away from TUSA imprex and Mares Plana.

Hope this helps, Enjoy your classes, it truly is an awesome experiance.

I don't care much for purge valves on mask either, they are more likely to leak than to be of any real use. The biggest tip I can give to try on every mask that you can find in your local area. Mask fit is very important and the only real way to find the one that fits you best is to try as many as possible. Pay no attention to cost, fit and comfort are all that matter. An inexpensive mask that fits and does not leak (much, they all leak a little) is a much better purchase than an expensive one that leaks like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom