Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Frameless" Masks --- Field of Vision???

RDP
    Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999

"Frameless" Masks --- Field of Vision???

I am looking at frameless masks due to the claimed better field of vision. I understand the idea; eyes closer to lense = wider viewing angle. I am wondering about the opinions of real world users. What do you think?

Also, has anyone used the masks with the led's on the frame?

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    I use the SP Framless and won't go back to anything else. There are cheap knockoffs, but I was not happy with them. One even smelled like someone was smoking when it was brand new and had fogging problems. Never could get it to stop fogging up. This mask fits my face perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by RDP
    I am looking at frameless masks due to the claimed better field of vision. I understand the idea; eyes closer to lense = wider viewing angle. I am wondering about the opinions of real world users. What do you think?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

SP Frameless

Quote Originally Posted by RDP

I have the SP frameless (second mask purchase), and love it. Low-volume, sleak, good range of vision. I don't have much use for the little side windows you see on other masks, as my prescription's pretty strong, so those were just a big blur anyway. Some like the light coming in through the sides, but personally I don't mind at all having a black skirt around the outside & just a clear pane directly in front of the eyes. I suggest you try one out & see how you like it....

Jim

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

I think I know that mask

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gibson
    I use the SP Framless and won't go back to anything else. There are cheap knockoffs, but I was not happy with them. One even smelled like someone was smoking when it was brand new and had fogging problems. Never could get it to stop fogging up. This mask fits my face perfectly.

Perhaps was it a oceanic mini-shadow? I have one and it smelled like old armpit for the longest time. Still fogs easy.
    Don't worry - In order to be offended by you, I would have to respect your opinion.....

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    No, I think it was something like Sea Dive or some other brand name like that. It took over a year in the pool to get rid of the smell. The skirt is not quite as nice as my SP Framless. It has become a little stiffer over time and leaks more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by No Fish
    Perhaps was it a oceanic mini-shadow? I have one and it smelled like old armpit for the longest time. Still fogs easy.

RDP
    Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999

"SP" = Scuba Pro ???

When you guys refer to the "SP" mask, are you refering to the Scuba Pro? :06:

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    I just purchased a Cressi Big Eyes mask, very nice field of view, I can actually see my BC , also like the low volume aspect also.

Mike

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I just got a X-Vision, it's not really frameless but the lenses are angled so you can't tell it's got a frame. You can see everything!! It's like your not even wearing a mask!

And it's cheap too: I got it for $69

Scuba Instructor

alive???

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    I love super low vloume masks that are frameless. They let me get closer to my camera housing to see through the veiwfinder better.
    Diving the Emerald Sea or some place warm

"When the going get weird, the weird turn pro”
    The Late Great HST

Registered

Has not set a "status"

One quick exhale through the nose and the Scubapro frameless mask clears completetly. I find there is no pressure on the nose with this mask as well .
    V.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast