Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Silicone Yellowing

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos

Silicone Yellowing

I have several masks going back many years and I have a question regarding the clear silicone types. Most of my black rubber, non silicone masks are still useable save for a few that have just gotten dry rot, oh well, nothing is forever I guess, but I also have several silicone masks and they have taken on a yellowish tint to various degrees. They still seem soft and pliable and fully functional save for the yellowing whcih really hurts nothing. Is this a normal aging process and is there any way to prevent it or even reverse it??
    Oh, I just bought a new Mares X vision and yes it is a nice mask with low volume and excellent vision. N

too long 'til Palau

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Silicone will yellow if it's exposed to rubber, that includes neoprene. If you keep a silicone mask in a plastic bag or mask box it will prevent it. I don't know of any way to reverse it.

Scuba Instructor

Team Diver and Photographer

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    I actually believe the yellowing is a reaction to light, I assume UV rays. If you look at snorkels that have been displayed for a while in a shop, the silicone often looks yellow. AFAIK it will not be a problem. I've had masks and snorkels that were yellowed and did not have any problems diving with them. Also seen a lot of people use them with no problems.
    Alex

PADI OWSI
    Team Diver
    alextanz.com

Registered

Have camera and airline
    ticket...will travel

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I'm thinking that the yellowing might be caused by contact with sunscreens. I have clothing articles and other equipment stained by sunscreens. Many chemicals will yellow "plastic" and silicon products. Just ask pilots if they use certain chems on their lexan windows.

Registered

is tired of being tired.

Dives
    25 - 49
    Photos
    The cynical side of me wonders if it's something the manufacturers do with the silicone to give less knowledgeable divers an incentive to buy a new mask every five years. The yellowing is a bit unsightly but I don't believe it affects the functionality in the least. I still wear the same Sherwood mask I've used since I got certified, silicone yellowed and not quite as clear as it once was, and the most I can complain about is that I still haven't found a foolproof defog. :P

cheers

Billy S.
    >INSERT HAMBURGER IN DRIVE A:\

Diving, diving, diving in Maui

Silicon Valley, CA / New Bedford, MA / Kihei, Maui
    Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    I've had some success removing the yellowing by scrubbing the silicone with toothpaste. But after the yellowing came back a year later I just gave up and ignored it.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 1,999
    Photos

Silicone yellowing

is generally attributable to the photochemical reaction that occurs when ultraviolet (UV) radiation reacts with fungicidal agents present in the silicone.

If you want to keep the silicone clear, store it in the dark and only use it at night.