Liveaboards out of Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingPrincessE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am in the early research stage of planning my first liveaboard trip. I was hoping to get information on liveaboards that leave out of Florida because the cost of flying to FL vs anywhere in the Caribbean is vastly different. So far I've only found one (Juliet Sailing and Scuba Diving).

I'm looking for information on any other liveaboard charters out of FL

and/or

Information on the Juliet. To people that traveled with them, what was your experience like? What as the diving like? Also, I'm assuming that since they are out of FL they do not provide DM guides, is that accurate?

I wouldn't be opposed to just doing a week in Key Largo...but I think a liveaboard (with diving, food, and lodging already included) seems to be more financially beneficial.

Thanks!

It would be alot more fun too. Jim Abernethy Runs a liveaboard out of West Palm called the Shearwater, Mark Rose runs the Gulfstream Eagle, which I heard has moved down to Key largo at Spencer Slate's place, and the Juliet you already know about.

You won't be disappointed by the Juliet. I have made charters with them in the Bahamas and in the Turks. Give the owner a call, and tell him I sent you. His name is John Beltramo. Here is his contact info.
John Beltramo
President
Capulet Marine, Inc.
DBA Juliet Sailing and Diving
john@sailjuliet.com
(650) 906-4249

He can tell you everything you want to know about the Juliet. In a week, you can expect to do a maximum of about 20 dives. Some night dives will be skipped because you go into Bimini or just want to take it easy and relax. I was always comfortable in the cabin and you can always get one of the crew to dive with you. They have 5 crew: a captain, divemaster, underwater naturalist, engineer and cook. They take a maximum of 12 passengers.

You will need to see what trips are still available. They book up quickly.

I am in the early research stage of planning my first liveaboard trip. I was hoping to get information on liveaboards that leave out of Florida because the cost of flying to FL vs anywhere in the Caribbean is vastly different. So far I've only found one (Juliet Sailing and Scuba Diving).

I'm looking for information on any other liveaboard charters out of FL

and/or

Information on the Juliet. To people that traveled with them, what was your experience like? What as the diving like? Also, I'm assuming that since they are out of FL they do not provide DM guides, is that accurate?

I wouldn't be opposed to just doing a week in Key Largo...but I think a liveaboard (with diving, food, and lodging already included) seems to be more financially beneficial.

Thanks!

I'm on the Juliet from May 17-23rd so I'll let you know when I get back. I researched her pretty thoroughly on Undercurrent and she gets good reviews there (as well as here).

Additionally, you've got the Easy Goin' (out of Fort Lauderdale) and the Shearwater and the Gulfstream Eagle (out of Palm Beach). Nekton Pilot also runs from Fort Lauderdale part of the year (in the summer when crossings are mild) but that boat holds like 20 or 24 divers (no thanks, I'm not into the moo thing).

Great responses so far, and so quickly! Thanks guys!! Keep em comin'

for a shorter trip (runs from Ft Myers to Dry Tortugas) - ultimategetaway.net can be a good trip.

usually you board on Thuesday night - dive Fri, Sat and then Sun morning and back late afternoon.

Take care though if booking - they do spearfishing or photography trips, so book on one which interests you....don't go on a "mixed trip" as it won't be great for either.

When I did my first Live aboard (Nekton), we left out of Ft. Lauderdale. It was the the Bahamas. I don't know if they still leave out of there or not.

Yes, at certain times of the year, the Nekton leaves out of Ft. Lauderdale. I'm booked with them for a June trip to Medio Reef. Can't wait!

Mountain Dog

Nekton leaves out of Ft. Lauderdale during the summer.

I've heard good things about the Gulfstream Eagle and Juliet though.

Any particular reason you're looking for a liveaboard? Keys Road Trips are awesome!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom