Pro Dive Closed:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbdqsony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am very emotionally today--

On Monday (Oct 18th) I got text from my favorite Divemaster/Divebuddy said "Your tanks is here, pro dive is closed." I said yeh I'm planning on diving this weekend. He said "no pro dive is closed." I was like "As of out of biz" He said "Yep want me to get your tanks" I actually broke down in some way. I told him yes... but I went to Pro Dive Shop the next morning and there was no body there, I see all stuff inside the store was on floor getting ready to packed... I was so angry for some reason not toward the staffs but the owner. I mean the staffs had put a lot of effort and showed their passionate with scuba world. Now they are without job. One staff was in Orlando that day and got a call said he doesn't have job anymore.

I am still angry because I've lost my 2nd home which was Pro Dive. I felt so comfortable with the crews.... now I have to start all over making new friends on different company... It wasn't that easy for me since I am deaf and many had NO idea how to communicate with me. Most of staffs on Pro Dive knew how to communicate with me and made me feel like I'm more than welcome.

I never thought I would be this hurt.. I feel so bad for the crews who lost their job I will miss them so much and I hope that I'll keep in touch with most of them.

The owner of Pro Dive had betrayed their staffs but not just that... betrayed us the customers....

PS. They didn't EVEN offer one last day for all crews and the customers to dive together such as farewell dive. I must say **** you to pro dive owner for making this huge mistake.

I will be diving with Sea Experience but I don't know when I'll be diving... not this weekend thats for sure.

While it is sad, it doesn't sound like it was any different than the thousands of other similar sad stories that are commonplace in the world of service/retail. Probably a necessary business decision, a little more notice would have been nice for staff, but it doesn't sound like anything illegal went on.

Don't take it personally, keep in touch with those friends you made in the dive world, most likely they will still be diving no matter where they go to work.

While it is sad, it doesn't sound like it was any different than the thousands of other similar sad stories that are commonplace in the world of service/retail. Probably a necessary business decision, a little more notice would have been nice for staff, but it doesn't sound like anything illegal went on.

Don't take it personally, keep in touch with those friends you made in the dive world, most likely they will still be diving no matter where they go to work.

Such a nice response. :thumb:

Yes it's true and most of company will give at least weeks to months notice so staffs can be prepared.

But what had happened... staffs went to work in the morning and they got news slammed in their face. No job!

Also customers like myself has boat trip passes. Worth 450.00. If I didn't knew they were closing I may will lose my 2 tanks but Im grateful for one staff calling me to let me know.

Still not think anything illegal goes on? What about the money I spent that I didn't received? I'm not only one BTW-- there are several.

Still not think anything illegal goes on? What about the money I spent that I didn't received? I'm not only one BTW-- there are several.

Unfortunately that happens when a business closes. Sad to see so many dive shops going under (and I don't mean under water).

I just searched on their web page and found this - looks like it was posted on Monday. Sounds like a re-org, but all may not be lost for you.

Pro Dive - Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Scuba Instructor Training

Yes, it's true, Pro Dive has undergone a downsizing: with the loss of the lease here, we'll be moving back to our original location in Bahia Mar, with our good friends Sea Expereince, just down the street. All training programs will continue, still led by Richard Hartley and Brad Cunningham. New & exciting: we'll have access to TWO boats, and be working with the Sea Exp crew, many of whom are Pro Dive alumni.

From their website:
Yes, it's true, Pro Dive has undergone a downsizing: with the loss of the lease here, we'll be moving back to our original location in Bahia Mar, with our good friends Sea Expereince, just down the street. All training programs will continue, still led by Richard Hartley and Brad Cunningham. New & exciting: we'll have access to TWO boats, and be working with the Sea Exp crew, many of whom are Pro Dive alumni.

Sounds like they are not gone after all. Good news for you! :)

From their website:

Sounds like they are not gone after all. Good news for you! :)

Actually..... go read the comments on the facebook page.
Fort Lauderdale Dive Report by Pro Dive International | Facebook

It appears that most of the employees are out of a job.

Yes they are moving, but they are moving their training operation. Doesn't appear that they are moving (or re-opening) their Dive Shop operation.

Boat operations appear to be with another operator. but it's not perfectly clear on any of it.

I guess I stand corrected.

Was never a fan of their zero to hero OW to Instructor program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom