Lion fishing commercially

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teljkon

Contributor
Reaction score
So ive dont a little diggin on lion fish and florida regualtions on comercial sale of fish. this is what i found that is the most relavent for looking at regs. I also wrote a detailed question about selling directly to Markets and resturaunts at the same website well see what kinda answer we get back.

The thought process behind this is its easy er to get WSP (Wholesale Saltwater Products) to be intresed in this fish if they see a proven maket.

Commercial license to catch and sell fish, frogs, bait, etc.

How many pounds of fish a day do you think you can catch? How much a pound will it sell for?

How many pounds of fish a day do you think you can catch? How much a pound will it sell for?

whoops and whoops

Put this in the wrong forum

but to answer your ? IDK how much in a day

And MRKT

Could a MOD port this up one thanks.

.....The thought process behind this is its easy er to get WSP (Wholesale Saltwater Products) to be intresed in this fish if they see a proven maket.

You would need an SPL to harvest Lionfish, not a WDL. I have no idea what a WSP is on the Atlantic side. Once you are legal and have correctly caught your lionfish (up to 100lbs since I've never seen a 51lb lionfish), you then cannot sell it to the restaurant directly. It must be sold to an entity who holds a valid Commercial Saltwater Retail and/or Wholesale Dealer License.

There are many additional requirements for each of these licenses, including a commercial dive # and a C number. And some of these permits and licenses are no longer accepting new applications, renewals only so you must purchase an existing permit on the open market.

So ive dont a little diggin on lion fish and florida regualtions on comercial sale of fish. this is what i found that is the most relavent for looking at regs. I also wrote a detailed question about selling directly to Markets and resturaunts at the same website well see what kinda answer we get back.

The thought process behind this is its easy er to get WSP (Wholesale Saltwater Products) to be intresed in this fish if they see a proven maket.

Commercial license to catch and sell fish, frogs, bait, etc.

Their small size is the biggest detriment with regard to commerial fishing viability...

FWC is working on a trap, and in the keys, lobstermen are making a market because they are effectively trapping them. I don't think spearfishing will be the way to commercially catch them. Some of those suckers in deep water in Puerto Rico are running better than 2 lbs and 18 inches. That's a fillet you can eat. Deep water is the 300 feet mark, BTW. We have seen them deeper, too.

I know some restaurants in the upper Keys have already connected with the lobstermen and are serving lionfish. I think the restaurant Encore is one of them.

Hey, did you hear that REEF and the Fla Keys National Marine Sanctuary just announced their 2011 lionfish tournaments?
May 14 - Fiesta Key Resort, Long Key, Fla.
August 20 - Coconuts Restaurant, Key Largo, Fla.
November 5 - Hurricane Hole Marina and Restaurant, Key West, Fla.

Register online at Lionfish Derbies | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)
$150 for teams of up to four divers, gets you puncture resistance gloves or a catch bag, and banquet tix.

We're killing them anyway, might as well try for some cash and prizes while we're at it. $10,000 up for grabs during the whole series.

Discounts on accommodations and boat rentals too.
Fiesta Key Resort- (305) 554-0172. Special Derby Rates: $30 for tent site, $65 for R.V. site, $85 for standard room, $100 for room w/kitchen
Lime Tree Bay Resort- (305) 664-4740. Offering 25% off regular rates for derby participants.
Pier 68 Watersports- (305) 664-2233 (right next to Lime Tree Bay Resort). Offering 20% off of all boat rentals for derby participants.
Key Dives- (305) 664-2211 (in Islamorada). Offering $10 off for all derby participants.

Check it out: Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, Partner, to host Second Annual Lionfish Derby Series

Ive been thinking a littel more on this and I am thinking about getting with some one with a whole salt water product license to take donated fish and then having a festaval.

This is how I see it working WSP ABC will be taking donated Lion fish above blank # of Lbs or length for this period time. Please donate your fish via shipping them or hand delivering them. pleas take of the posionous spines befor shipping etc etc. Perhaps well even provide the boxes for free at dive shops and marinas.

Then at the end of the catch period we hold a cook off chef off or festaval in one of the main downtown areas be it lake worth, west palm, Delray, Fort lauderdale, daytona Orlando, even South beach. Then repeat every few mounths in a new downtown area for about a year or two. This is a starter way for this to become a viable product get the resturaunts direct feed back on the fish. Also get the consumer to taste the fish. As well as raise awarness of the problem with the fish.

Thoughts coments this is just a cockamamy idea i have because as of right now i dont know of any one doing similar at least I havent heard about it and the only comunity that is aware of the lion fish plight is really divers.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom