Underwater Cages at Lauderdale by the Sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigfunctions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - we were snorkeling on Sunday May 20 at LBTS (strong current, green water) and saw these "cages" on the sea floor that we've never seen before. Anyone know what they are? I thinmk I remember hearing about some sort of coral restoration project in that area - maybe that's what these are. They were about a the pier length from the shore, near the Hibiscus portal, in about 15 feet of water. There were three, end to end, each about 10 feet by 6 feet or so.

Any ideas? Thanks, trig

P5200808 (Medium).jpgP5200809 (Medium).jpg

Its the bio rock project . the cages are attached to floating solar panels on the surface that incourages coral growth at a increased rate.a full description and video are on Danielle's Dives - About Danielle's Dives on the blog section

bio rock

We didn't see any lines to the surface, bouys, or floating panels attached to the cages. Maybe they removed them because of the weather?

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2012 at 09:07 PM ----------

A little googling of "biorock" and I found this website.
Lauderdale by the Sea Bio Rock Page

That's definitely what those cages were. Thanks for the info everyone!

at one time they had 4 solar panels but they have disapered over the last few weeks . the reason could be storms or stolen.i dove the area 2 weeks ado and one was still attached but if you say its gone im not shocked. we have taken video over the last 6 months to log the progress but we have not really seen any growth of note

Last time I was there I kicked out past them and took a gander at the bottom from around the panels and really saw nothing. Maybe the panels
have become seperated. I have seen the structures though, before the solar thingys were actually put up. Kinda surprised me coming up
on these in a place I had been many times before.

I hope the project continues and is successful but its not looking good so far. The results they show on their website is impressive so lets hope so.If anyone wants a detailed description they have a site Biorock . way to much for my one finger typing skills and a bit boring but knock yourself out

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom