lower keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UncleJT

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a dive op in the lower keys (Sugarloaf, Big Pine, Boca Chica)? I will be there from June 27th through July 6th.

This will be my first ocean dives so I need someplace that has small boats (6-pass.) and offers "rent-a-buddy".

Thanks

- JT

Underseas inc at Big Pine.Try a trip to Looe Key(15' to 100') and the Adolphus Busch(40' to mast ,65' to pilot house,80' to deck,113' to the bottom) Most operations in the area are 12-15 divers min. unless money is no object then try Little Palm Island they have a 6-pack.Where are you staying ? We live there coupla mos a year.

I will be staying in Sugar Loaf @ The Sugar Loaf Lodge. I was thinking of using Capt. Jim's Reef-Divers in Cudjoe Key to go out to Looe Key.

- JT

Let me also add that my first stop upon arriving in the keys will be 2-days at Kelly's on the Bay (Aqua-Nuts) in Key Largo. Hoping to do my first four ocean dives with them. However, I don't like to spend alot of time in crowded areas like Key Largo and Key West.

- JT

Cool,Sugarloaf is quiet.Lotsa prime inshore reef as well .Consider a night dive.@ $25 usually it gives you an opportunity to see more life and some unusual behaviors.

Cap't. Banny in Marathon is terrific, but I don't think he provides the buddy ... his boat holds 4-5, tops. He doesn't get wet, but he's got a personality that will keep you going! Can't remember what hotel they go out of (he berths his boat out back), but it is right across Highway 1 from The Quay restaurant in Marathon.

If you dive in Key West, I recommend Dive Key West on Roosevelt (which is also Highway 1). They only take 10 divers out -- and one time we were the only two. Again, no real guides other than for the deeper dive (Cayman Salvager @ 90 feet) and you are on your own.

Margaret

I just spent two years in the keys, with about 400 dives. Two places I would recommend is Jim Wyatt's Reef Divers on Cudjoe Key, and Mike and Wendy's Tavernier Dive Center in Tavernier. No one treated me better.

www.tavernierdivecenter.com

www.reef-divers.com

Conch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom