Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: lower keys

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

lower keys

Can anyone recommend a dive op in the lower keys (Sugarloaf, Big Pine, Boca Chica)? I will be there from June 27th through July 6th.

This will be my first ocean dives so I need someplace that has small boats (6-pass.) and offers "rent-a-buddy".

Thanks

- JT

Registered

seafood sifu

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Underseas inc at Big Pine.Try a trip to Looe Key(15' to 100') and the Adolphus Busch(40' to mast ,65' to pilot house,80' to deck,113' to the bottom) Most operations in the area are 12-15 divers min. unless money is no object then try Little Palm Island they have a 6-pack.Where are you staying ? We live there coupla mos a year.
    www.sustainablefishing.org

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

I will be staying in Sugar Loaf @ The Sugar Loaf Lodge. I was thinking of using Capt. Jim's Reef-Divers in Cudjoe Key to go out to Looe Key.

- JT

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Let me also add that my first stop upon arriving in the keys will be 2-days at Kelly's on the Bay (Aqua-Nuts) in Key Largo. Hoping to do my first four ocean dives with them. However, I don't like to spend alot of time in crowded areas like Key Largo and Key West.

- JT

Registered

seafood sifu

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Cool,Sugarloaf is quiet.Lotsa prime inshore reef as well .Consider a night dive.@ $25 usually it gives you an opportunity to see more life and some unusual behaviors.
    www.sustainablefishing.org

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

Marathon - Never Enough Charters

Cap't. Banny in Marathon is terrific, but I don't think he provides the buddy ... his boat holds 4-5, tops. He doesn't get wet, but he's got a personality that will keep you going! Can't remember what hotel they go out of (he berths his boat out back), but it is right across Highway 1 from The Quay restaurant in Marathon.

If you dive in Key West, I recommend Dive Key West on Roosevelt (which is also Highway 1). They only take 10 divers out -- and one time we were the only two. Again, no real guides other than for the deeper dive (Cayman Salvager @ 90 feet) and you are on your own.

Margaret

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I just spent two years in the keys, with abou...

I just spent two years in the keys, with about 400 dives. Two places I would recommend is Jim Wyatt's Reef Divers on Cudjoe Key, and Mike and Wendy's Tavernier Dive Center in Tavernier. No one treated me better.

www.tavernierdivecenter.com

www.reef-divers.com

Conch
    Conch

If at first you don't succeed, don't skydive