Destin reef clean-up report - "West side story"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Gulf-Gulper, SeaSquirrel, and I met the sun this morning standing on the West bank of the Destin Pass. High tide was 6:04 and we were in the water by 6:30. We looked at the site to figure out where to do our clean-up dives. The walk (or swim) to the West jetty seemed far so we decided to check out the bridge pilings under the Destin bridge. I've never dove that area so I wasn't sure what we would find. The sun was peeking out of some clouds by the time we started, so light underwater was good. Viz was about 25'-30'. I didn't check the water temp but it was like bathwater. We started with close pilings that were very shallow and soon got the lay of the bottom figured out. Around the pilings the water cuts a trough and between the pilings a sand ridge forms. It was a lot of fun going back and forth through the troughs and up and down over the ridges. The deepest we got was 19'. We got about 3/4 of the way to the area that boats pass under the bridge by the time we finished our second dive. On our second dive we were at the farthest piling that we got to when the current changed direction. We noticed the fish starting to line up behind the pilings and then the push started coming from the bay. We decided it was time to call the dive but it was almost too late. Gulf-Gulper was carrying a mesh bag with trash and the dive flag. The flag line got wrapped around a piling and he had to struggle a little with it to get it free. I was carrying a large black tarp (rolled up the best I could for underwater) and I held GG's bag while he worked on the line. I took the line and gave him the bag when he got everything loose. We headed for the beach against a current that you could kick full tilt against and still only make slight headway. As I was swimming along, the tarp was unfolding behind me - what a drag :D. I gave up on trying to stay on the bottom and surfaced to do a back float to shore. As I got to the beach a fisherman said he saw that "large black shape" and wondered what it was. I guess I'm lucky I wasn't harpooned or shot thinking I was a shark. GG made it back safe and after breathing heavy for a few minutes we climbed on to the beach and piled up our trashy treasures. All in all we collected 3 bags full and some boards. I guess the troughs around the pilings get a little deeper as you get closer to where the boats go through, but we never made it that far. This would be a fun dive once in awhile, but there were not tons of interesting things to see. After the dives we shed our gear and walked to the jetty - yes it is a long walk, even longer than the walk to the East jetty where we normally dive. When we got to the jetty we noticed that the sand piles up on the Pass side so all along the jetty it is very shallow. We did not go all the way out to the end so some diving may be possible out there if you go by boat. Attached are pictures of our day.

Looks like a fun dive, and for a worthy cause. Glad to see the current didn't ruin your day totally. I wouldn't mind coming down and doing that dive one of these days to check it out, sounds like some fun.

Matt

Good job yoda, you da man.

Looks like a nice haul :D Still wish I coulda made it, seems like fun :D I figured the walk to the West jetties woulda been one hellova haul. Might have to take the Miss Jellyfish out there to get out to those rocks :D

Great Job Guys! I had heard that you could dive under the bridge, but had never done it myself.

I've been wanting to dive the bridge for years.....I hear its about 35' in the channel area. We bring the kids over there to snorkel in a "controlled" area and they can play in the shallows all day, just never threw on the tank though. Nice pics

Great job cleaning it up. Let me know the next time you plan a clean-up trip or any dive in the Destin area, and I'll try and do my best to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom