Key Largo, Rainbow Reef Divers vs. Horizon Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragon2115

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are planning a short dive trip (probably just three days of diving) to Key Largo in early November and I'm looking for opinions/impressions about Rainbow Reef Divers and Horizon Divers from people familiar with them and/or who have been diving with either of them recently. My wife and I are inpedendent divers (i.e. we're comfortable diving without a DM) and we would prefer the option to explore on our own or follow the tour if we wish to. IOW, we don't want to get stuck on cattle dives that end when the first air-hog runs out of gas. My other question is if there is any shore diving in the area or maybe within a reasonable driving distance of either of these operators? Will either of these operators meet our needs?

I have used Rainbow Reef in Tavenaire, decent op, small boat but they never took us to anyplace other than Davis Ledge which is great for critters but.
The only thing close to shore diving in all of the Key's is the lagoon at Jewles undersea Lodge at the top of KL which is a good place to go if your boat dive gets blown out or for equipment checks, there are training platforms available.
The other shore dive is the Florida Key's community college in KW, again a lagoon, you must register at the gate before diving.
If you really want a nice shore dive head up 95 to Commercial Ave in Lauderdale by the Sea, there is some great diving for a few blocks south including a recreated shipwreck with cannons and anchor.

I used Horizons about 3month ago. all went well and will use them when I drive down again.

My buddy and I have used Horizon divers twice for mulitiple days of diving, and he and another friend used them for snorkeling previously. I would use them again.

However, I have not used them since they changed management (last year?)

They are a relative cattle boat, but they were a good operation. The Captains were good, and the DMs and the instructor we used were good. The old owner even dove with a couple people on our boat on one excursion.

The boat is rather like a large pontoon party boat, and it has a pretty high deck so the giant stride is a bit of a drop. Also the ladder is a bit of a climb with the high deck, but there is a lot of space on the deck, even for a lot of divers. The ladders can be seen underwater from a long distance.

Make sure your fins are marked as they sometimes end up in a large pile on deck.

If you use Horizon, arrive early, meet the crew, and suggest where you would like to dive. They don't like to go to the same place in the afternoon that they went in the morning (in general). Of course the final decision is based on conditions, but the first to request a dive site often gets rewarded.

Find out if it is a mixed boat (in advance). Occasionally they have divers and snorkelers on the same boat, and mixed boats tend to stay at shallower sites. Of course some of the shallow sites are still very good. We have done several reefs and several wrecks with them.

Those are my comments and suggestions.

Wristshot

When our boat is going deep, and I have resorts or open water students, or when we don't have a trip and they do, I dive with Rainbow Reef or Horizon Divers in Key Largo.

They both have big boats that carry up to 24 divers per trip. Rainbow Reef also has a six passenger boat, and a couple of midsized (~14 diver) boats. They shuffle the boats around between Islamorada and Key Largo, depending on what's going on where.

The owners and crews of both are good. Horizon doesn't provide a guide unless you arrange for one in advance (at about $25 per diver). Rainbow Reef offers DM-led dives at a $10 per diver per trip premium.

Shore diving in the Keys is practically non-existent. Enjoy!

Dragon2115:
My wife and I are planning a short dive trip (probably just three days of diving) to Key Largo in early November and I'm looking for opinions/impressions about Rainbow Reef Divers and Horizon Divers from people familiar with them and/or who have been diving with either of them recently. My wife and I are inpedendent divers (i.e. we're comfortable diving without a DM) and we would prefer the option to explore on our own or follow the tour if we wish to. IOW, we don't want to get stuck on cattle dives that end when the first air-hog runs out of gas. My other question is if there is any shore diving in the area or maybe within a reasonable driving distance of either of these operators? Will either of these operators meet our needs?

Overall Rainbow Reef was good. The crew was great, I actually ended up with a staff member as my buddy and he was great. I have one issue, it was a major cattle boat. I had trouble changing tanks the space was so tight. I am sure I will go out with them again but this will certainly make me thing twice in the future.

Alex

Thanks everyone. The info is very helpful.

When our boat is going deep, and I have resorts or open water students, or when we don't have a trip and they do, I dive with Rainbow Reef or Horizon Divers in Key Largo.

So you're saying I should check with you first before I book with them for that day? :wink: :D

Seriously though I don't mind student divers being on the boat. We all have to start somewhere. All I really want is an operator that will let us go off and explore on our own if we want to, and that will also allow us to use up our tanks.

I haven't got any problem with diving the shallower sites, although we would like to do the Grove while we're there. From my research so far it looks like there are quite a few shallow sites that would be nice to see. Deep dives are cool and might have bragging rights, but the shallow ones give you more bottom time to poke around.

My main interest in these two operators is the convenience of their being located right next to the hotel. There's definitely something to be said for not having to drive back to the hotel after a long day on the boat. :)

DRAGON

They (either shop) are going to limit your TIME. MOST do that because they have to keep to a SCHEDULE. SO whether or not there is an airhog, you are going to get a 1 HOUR time limit during the DM's briefing. So sit at the back of the boat & be geared up & READY TO GO when the DM says "pool is open". That way you are going to max water time. Also, most (if not ALL) dive ops in KL do not provide a "tour guide". You can pay extra for one if you want. They all pretty much "let you go where you want" within parameters. The drive up & hook up to a ball. The DM will tell you the name of the site & what to expect to see. They will tell you which direction to start the dive &(based on current flow that day). They will tell you to be back in 1 hour or 500 psi, whichever comes first. Then you are on your own. PLEASE NOTE: The DIVE FLAG on your boat provides you with a "protection ring" of 100 FEET. If you come up outside of that perimeter and ruin someones PROP with your HEAD, then that is your problem!

Also, if you come up 1000 feet from the boat with 200 psi in your tank, don't be surprised if they keep you on a REAL SHORT LEASE for your next dive! (Oh yeah, it happens ALL THE TIME!)

Enjoy the Keys. If you hit it when there isn't a tropical storm or Hurricane you should have a great time!

Mike

I've had no experience with Horizons, but I have with Rainbow Reef. My bike group went to the Keys in May. I had emailed, and talked to Rainbow Reef Divers to set up a dive to Alligator Reef. I'd read about it, and wanted to go there. I was assured our dive would be to Alligator reef when we came down. When my buddy and I arrived, we were put on a boat with about 15-18 other divers. We were told we going to a different reef. I reminded them they'd promised us Alligator reef, but was told they'd been there the day before with most of the group on our boat, and they wanted a different dive. Needless to say, I was disappointed. The reef they took us to was good, but not what I had been promised. For this reason, I would not recommend Rainbow Reef, and will not use them again.

Dragon2115:
So you're saying I should check with you first before I book with them for that day? :wink: :D

Brent is divemaster and Master Instructor at Blue Water Divers in Key Largo (check out the tagline of his post). They are the polar opposite of a cattle boat: they have a max of 10 divers per trip, and will choose a dive site based on requests or abilities of the divers. Friendly but very professional. They fit your "not a cattle boat, user friendly" description.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom