Naples Florida - Diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deneenthom

Reaction score
Newbie Diver here - Going to Naples Florida for 7 days before and thru Thanksgiving.
November 18 - 25. Wanted to do shallow dives with Good Dive Shop - any info and advice is appreciated. I am Certified Open Water. My goal is to get more experience.

Thanks - Dee

deneenthom:
Newbie Diver here - Going to Naples Florida for 7 days before and thru Thanksgiving.
November 18 - 25. Wanted to do shallow dives with Good Dive Shop - any info and advice is appreciated. I am Certified Open Water. My goal is to get more experience.

Thanks - Dee

First of all, the Gulf will likely be in the upper 60s by late-November. Fort Lauderdale is under 2 hours away, straight across the interstate.

It's a lot quicker than that if you do like some guy did one night last year - a Miccosukee on the overpass there at the gas station clocked something doing 169 mph at 4am.

I can neither confirm nor deny any involvement with speeds which may or may not be legal in territory which may or may not be governed by authorities of the State of Florida or the Federal Goverment of the United States. :D

Tom Winters:
It's a lot quicker than that if you do like some guy did one night last year - a Miccosukee on the overpass there at the gas station clocked something doing 169 mph at 4am.

Joe, playing GTA Miami with the Alligator Alley plug in doesn't count, buddy.. your safe. :)

Around the Thanksgiving time frame we are also doing a Turkey Fry at Venice Beach (The Saturday following T-giving) for those who might be interested in some fried foul and great diving with a great group of folks!!

I'm concepting a T-shirt for the event with my wife.. :)

deneenthom:

Thanks - Dee

The other responses are correct, Gulf will be cold. However if you have a 5 mil suit you will be comfortable. I live and dive in Naples year round. There are some great dives for new divers. The Kidd is an intact barge sitting upright in 40 - 60 feet of water. It is very popular with divers and fisherman so you have to arrive early before the fisherman. There are many others, you can find a partial list here: Naples Dive Spots There are no LDS that offer local trips except for one on Marco Island.

SCUBAdventures w/ Capt. Jeff Dawson
1141 Bald Eagle Dr.
Marco Island, FL 34145

When you get here you will want to check out a great dive shop and talk about local sites, check Naples Dive Center

You should seriously consider a quick trip to Ft Laud, or Key Largo, thats your best bet.

Hope that helps, e-mail me if you need more info.

gene

Hi Geneaples! I'm going to be in Naples on the 24th and staying for a week until 31st. I live in the UK and am an AOW with Nitrox Cert. Do you know of any decent 30 - 35m dives in the Naples area? I had been looking at going down to Key Largo for my diving but if there are some good dives in or around Naples then I think I should give them a go.

Wafudude:
Hi Geneaples! I'm going to be in Naples on the 24th and staying for a week until 31st. I live in the UK and am an AOW with Nitrox Cert. Do you know of any decent 30 - 35m dives in the Naples area? I had been looking at going down to Key Largo for my diving but if there are some good dives in or around Naples then I think I should give them a go.

Many good dives in Naples, but if you can you should visit Key Largo or Ft Laud, much better vis and more dive boats and wrecks. For AOw,the Fantistico is a great wreck as well as the California, both can be reached from Naples. last weekend I found a wreck in about 75 ft of water that was not on any of the regular charts. All we have found so far are the cranes and masts. We are diving it again this weekend to try and find the hull, its located about 30 miles out from Naples. When you get here I will be glad to give you about 30 sets of coord for some other wrecks. See my post above and follow the links for more info.

gene

genenaples:
The other responses are correct, Gulf will be cold. However if you have a 5 mil suit you will be comfortable.

Dee, I see you are from Chicago, if you have done your diving in that area the cold philosophy does not apply to you. I dove Venice Beach with Walter in the winter (January I believe) a couple of years ago (I also was in Naples) and the 63 degree water was warm. We were hunting for sharks teeth and I was not wearing gloves and still got a 60 minute dive in wearing an old badly compressed 1/4 inch suit.

Fort Lauderdale was neat, Walter and I dove that in Feb. last year and came across a fish that is native to the Pacific. It had probably been released from someone's aquarium.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom