Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naples Florida - Diving ?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Naples Florida - Diving ?

Newbie Diver here - Going to Naples Florida for 7 days before and thru Thanksgiving.
    November 18 - 25. Wanted to do shallow dives with Good Dive Shop - any info and advice is appreciated. I am Certified Open Water. My goal is to get more experience.

Thanks - Dee

SEI/CMAS Instructor Trainer

Photos
    There are some great advanced dives off shore Naples. Since you're a newbie, I'd suggest heading to Ft. Lauderdale.
    The Devil's in the details.

Disclaimer: All discussion of value, by me or anyone else, is opinion.

For a comprehensive approach to diving education, check out Scuba Educators International (SEI) Diving.

Blacklight Poster

keep you from getting bent

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Quote Originally Posted by deneenthom
    Newbie Diver here - Going to Naples Florida for 7 days before and thru Thanksgiving.
    November 18 - 25. Wanted to do shallow dives with Good Dive Shop - any info and advice is appreciated. I am Certified Open Water. My goal is to get more experience.

Thanks - Dee
    First of all, the Gulf will likely be in the upper 60s by late-November. Fort Lauderdale is under 2 hours away, straight across the interstate.
    Brian // E-divers
    50% Off ScubaPro, Apeks, and Aqua Lung Gear, Click here
    MINDSET - SKILLSET - TOOLSET - IN THAT ORDER!

Scuba Instructor

no mo boat

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    It's a lot quicker than that if you do like some guy did one night last year - a Miccosukee on the overpass there at the gas station clocked something doing 169 mph at 4am.
    Tom
    NAUI instructor
    PADI divemaster

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    I can neither confirm nor deny any involvement with speeds which may or may not be legal in territory which may or may not be governed by authorities of the State of Florida or the Federal Goverment of the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winters
    It's a lot quicker than that if you do like some guy did one night last year - a Miccosukee on the overpass there at the gas station clocked something doing 169 mph at 4am.
    Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit.

Aristotle
    Greek critic, philosopher, physicist, & zoologist (384 BC - 322 BC)

~..facebook conch..~

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Joe, playing GTA Miami with the Alligator Alley plug in doesn't count, buddy.. your safe.

Around the Thanksgiving time frame we are also doing a Turkey Fry at Venice Beach (The Saturday following T-giving) for those who might be interested in some fried foul and great diving with a great group of folks!!

I'm concepting a T-shirt for the event with my wife..
    see you in the funny papers..

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

Naples Diving

Quote Originally Posted by deneenthom

Thanks - Dee
    The other responses are correct, Gulf will be cold. However if you have a 5 mil suit you will be comfortable. I live and dive in Naples year round. There are some great dives for new divers. The Kidd is an intact barge sitting upright in 40 - 60 feet of water. It is very popular with divers and fisherman so you have to arrive early before the fisherman. There are many others, you can find a partial list here: Naples Dive Spots There are no LDS that offer local trips except for one on Marco Island.

SCUBAdventures w/ Capt. Jeff Dawson
    1141 Bald Eagle Dr.
    Marco Island, FL 34145

When you get here you will want to check out a great dive shop and talk about local sites, check Naples Dive Center

You should seriously consider a quick trip to Ft Laud, or Key Largo, thats your best bet.

Hope that helps, e-mail me if you need more info.

gene

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Hi Geneaples! I'm going to be in Naples on the 24th and staying for a week until 31st. I live in the UK and am an AOW with Nitrox Cert. Do you know of any decent 30 - 35m dives in the Naples area? I had been looking at going down to Key Largo for my diving but if there are some good dives in or around Naples then I think I should give them a go.

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafudude
    Hi Geneaples! I'm going to be in Naples on the 24th and staying for a week until 31st. I live in the UK and am an AOW with Nitrox Cert. Do you know of any decent 30 - 35m dives in the Naples area? I had been looking at going down to Key Largo for my diving but if there are some good dives in or around Naples then I think I should give them a go.
    Many good dives in Naples, but if you can you should visit Key Largo or Ft Laud, much better vis and more dive boats and wrecks. For AOw,the Fantistico is a great wreck as well as the California, both can be reached from Naples. last weekend I found a wreck in about 75 ft of water that was not on any of the regular charts. All we have found so far are the cranes and masts. We are diving it again this weekend to try and find the hull, its located about 30 miles out from Naples. When you get here I will be glad to give you about 30 sets of coord for some other wrecks. See my post above and follow the links for more info.

gene

Floppy Ear Mod

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by genenaples
    The other responses are correct, Gulf will be cold. However if you have a 5 mil suit you will be comfortable.
    Dee, I see you are from Chicago, if you have done your diving in that area the cold philosophy does not apply to you. I dove Venice Beach with Walter in the winter (January I believe) a couple of years ago (I also was in Naples) and the 63 degree water was warm. We were hunting for sharks teeth and I was not wearing gloves and still got a 60 minute dive in wearing an old badly compressed 1/4 inch suit.

Fort Lauderdale was neat, Walter and I dove that in Feb. last year and came across a fish that is native to the Pacific. It had probably been released from someone's aquarium.
    Ber
    "I'm not a fan of summer storms. Between the lightening that might blow up my house or the tornado that might throw a cow through it, I don't sleep well." Steve_Dives
    Happy to be a dork diver! www.dorkdiver.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast