Dry Tortugas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reta & Brad

Reaction score
If anyone has any info on the Dry Tortuga's I would really
like to hear about it. The only info I've been able to
find is on the fort. I need dive info!!!!!

Destination

I can HIGHLY recommend the Juliet. I did their Dry Tortugas trip

Three boats regularly schedule trips there, the Ultimate Getaway, Playmate, and Spree. Ultimate Getaway runs spearfishing or photography charters, Playmate is known for spearfishing, and Spree allows no fishing at all. Juliet has a permit for diving in the park, but all diving must be done live boat, as they are too long to use the moorings, and now that the moorings are installed, anchoring is prohibited. Ultimate Getaway dives in the Sanctuary, but not in the park, Spree dives in both as long as permit requirements are met (fewer than 12 passengers in the Park), otherwise dives in the Sanctuary. Moored dive sites are on patch reefs, there are typically 13 of 36 moorings available at any given time. Reefs tend to be no deeper than 95 feet, and as shallow as 40 feet. There is a wall on the western edge of the sanctuary, as shallow as 60 feet, going as deep as 150 feet. Big stuff tends to be there.

Googling "Dry Tortugas" doesn't get you any information about the actual diving, but try "Dry Tortugas scuba" or "Dry Tortugas diving" for a better response.

Capt. Frank, what an excellent and thorough reply!

I went to the Dry Tortugas' recently and was not impressed with the health of the reef system. One site was completely covered in what was called Witch's Hair algea. Generally, dives were less than 80 ft. Bottom temp was 80 degrees. Some currents were encountered but nothing too serious. There were large critters like sharkes (both reef and nurse), goliath groupers, dolphin, and turtles. I think the visit to the fort was the best part of the trip.

I went last month it was great. I went with The Ultimate Getaway. The coral looked great to the sites they took us to except for a reef called "Awesome". When we went we had to come home a day early because of ruff seas and the nitox system crapped out on us. The last day is The Baja and the radio tower. The first day we dove the Vandenburg and it was also nice. The water is the prettiest blue water and the fort is ok but as long as you are there you might as well see it. I would recommend The Ultimate Getaway to anyone.

http://www.ultimategetaway.net/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom