Key Largo/Molasses Reef - Next 10 days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kamala

Reaction score
Can someone make me feel better about the next three days of being buried at work by posting a recent dive/spear report for Molasses Reef? Heading down there to meet up with my wife and the in-laws for the holidays. If you can snag a father-in-law with a house and boat in the Keys, I highly recommend it! :wink:

Kamala:
Can someone make me feel better about the next three days of being buried at work by posting a recent dive/spear report for Molasses Reef? Heading down there to meet up with my wife and the in-laws for the holidays. If you can snag a father-in-law with a house and boat in the Keys, I highly recommend it! :wink:

Vis changes day to day in the Keys. I was at the Duane and Pickels reef last Saturday and the vis was about 20-30 feet. I was told blue water has been pretty scarce lately. We brought spear gear, but never even took a shot- no grouper or hogs, but a ton of yellowtale. The amount of 'cudas didnt make it worth our while.

I can, however, promise you this- the spearfishing on Molasses Reef is not good. There is a ton to shoot, mind you, but the fines and jail time would probably negate any grouper sandwich you could grill.

Have a great trip.

I didn't mean to infer that we spear on the protected part of Molasses. I know where we go is not too far from the Molasses marker, but it's definitely outside the protected area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom