Vortex Springs & Destin or Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpsexton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My son and I are heading down this week for a couple days diving. Any sugestions or input on local conditions would be greatly apreciated. We'll either be there Tue. and Wed. or Wed. and Thur. depending on how soon we can get out of here.

Plan a: Vortex Spring one day and then Destin Jetties and Crystal Beach Pier pilings the next. Weather Underground says water will be calm Wed. so this might be pretty cool.

Plan b: Ginnie Springs both days. Weather says temps will be warmer there by 5 degrees or so compared to Vortex and more than 10 degrees compared to Destin. Warmer weather is good. :D

I've never been to either place so I can't compare. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

John

IF you want to dive Vortex, they are open every day and you can schedule it for any day. Water temp will be a constant 67-68f.

Option 2 is to also dive Morrison Springs since it's just a few minutes down the road.
Predicted river levels are at 4.5 feet on Monday-Thursday so the vis shouldn't be all that bad. http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=tae&gage=carf1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1

Destin Jetties this week you've got to catch it on a day when they aren't dredging that side. You also want to dive the Jetties at High Tide (see tide table below). I'd suggest trying there on Tuesday based on the below tide schedule. Here's dive info on the Jetties.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=724595&postcount=9

My suggestion is to see if SeaYoda is free during the week. He's an excellent guide.

Tides for East Pass (Destin) starting with April 1, 2006.
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

Tu 4 Low 4:14 AM -0.2 6:31 AM Set 1:11 AM 34
4 High 3:11 PM 0.7 7:07 PM Rise 11:04 AM

W 5 Low 5:29 AM -0.1 6:30 AM Set 2:03 AM 44
5 High 4:25 PM 0.6 7:07 PM Rise 12:02 PM

Th 6 Low 6:22 AM -0.1 6:29 AM Set 2:48 AM 54
6 High 5:38 PM 0.6 7:08 PM Rise 1:01 PM

Crystal Pier you can dive anytime though it's best when the surf isn't up. There are two public parking spots at that beach access though, so early or late might be suggested. It's very shallow and is a good place to burn the last 500-800psi off your tank.

You'll want a floating dive flag for the jetties. Officially you'll want one for Crystal Beach pier pilings, but you won't have to worry about boats there unless you get really far out.

Hope all that helps.

enjoy. -Mike

I would go with the Freshwater and Saltwater combo. The Jetties is a really fun dive.
It's also the proper price.. :) Also take Mike's advice and check out Morrison Springs. It's a great dive. If the water projection is correct, you should have some decent viz in the basin. Also use a flag at Morrison Springs, the boaters can come in and out of there rather quickly.

Matt

If you've never been to Vortex, check it out for atleast one dive. You'll probably find it to be quite fun, just not worth doing over and over.

If it were me... 2 at Vortex and 2 at Morrison before heading to Destin to dive the jetties and the pier rubble.

Ginnie is fun, but the mix of fresh and saltwater will probably give you a better variety of memories.

ginnie is somewhat limited if you don't have at least a cavern certification

you'll be able to do the Ballroom with an OW (and carry lights), and you'll be
able to do a drift dive down the Devil's Run (Little Devil, Devil's Eye, Devil's Ear)
and down the Santa Fe to Ginnie, depending on how clear the Santa Fe is.

two dives is really all you can explore.

on the other hand, if you have a cavern cert, you'll be able to carry a light into
the Devil's Ear, which is a wonderful cavern dive, one of the best in Florida.

Ginnie is also what? a 2hr-3hr (or more) drive from Destin?

(of course Vortex and Morrison are about an hour from Destin).

mike_s:
Ginnie is also what? a 2hr-3hr (or more) drive from Destin?

(of course Vortex and Morrison are about an hour from Destin).

Yeah, from Destin, I'm thinking 4-4.5 hours depending on how fast you drive.

H2Andy:
ginnie is somewhat limited if you don't have at least a cavern certification

you'll be able to do the Ballroom with an OW (and carry lights), and you'll be
able to do a drift dive down the Devil's Run (Little Devil, Devil's Eye, Devil's Ear)
and down the Santa Fe to Ginnie, depending on how clear the Santa Fe is.

two dives is really all you can explore.

on the other hand, if you have a cavern cert, you'll be able to carry a light into
the Devil's Ear, which is a wonderful cavern dive, one of the best in Florida.

I agree Ginne is very limited and somewhat small if you are not cavern certified. it is a cool place to visit once though.

Looks like I'm not going to get out of here till tue. so that would put me in Fl. to dive wed. and thur. According to the tide charts looks like the jetties are pretty unlikely. Maybe I could just dive Morrison one day and then head down to the pier.

John

Spoke to an instructor friend Tuesday of this week who took an ow class to Ginnie last weekend. Springs are clear but the river is not clear at this time. If you are not cave or cavern certified, Ginnie will bore you quickly (unless the river is diveable). I would think Vortex, Morrison, and the salt H2O locations

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom