Pro Dive in Fort Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarsAg99

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy all,

I'll be in Fort Lauderdale for a weeklong convention in mid-June. I'm researching dive ops out there right now. I noticed that some of you all posted links of web sites that list dive ops in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm thinking about going with Pro Dive. If you have used the op, can you please let me know about your experience/thoughts?

Also, I'd rather go with a dive op in Fort Lauderdale instead of going out to Pompano, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Personally, i dont use Pro Dive USA.

If your a beginner recreational diver that needs someone to babysit you or if your looking to get certified while on vacation, then pro dive might be perfect for you. Especially if you want to get instructor certified, their teaching programs are AWESOME!

But, if your a seasoned diver and just looking for a dive charter, then your probably going to find their prices high and their operation too restrictive then other local dive operations.

For example:

1. They require you to show a C card and Log Book.

2. If you havent dived in the last year, then they may require you to dive with their dive master. Dive master fee = $15

3. If you havent dived in the last 18 months, then they may require you to take their Scuba Review course. Cost = $145

4. If you havent dived in the last 3 years, then they may require you to take their Open Water Class. Cost = $395

As for Dive Charter Cost?

Well their website currently shows a 2 tank boat dive (2 tanks + Weightbelt) costing $64

I checked out the current pricing for 6 other popular fort lauderdale dive charts and their prices range from $40-$55 for the same thing (2 tanks + weight belt).

Here are a list of some other fort lauderdale dive charters. Many run very good operations.

http://www.fillexpress.com/boats.shtml

MarsAg99:
Howdy all,

I'll be in Fort Lauderdale for a weeklong convention in mid-June. I'm researching dive ops out there right now. I noticed that some of you all posted links of web sites that list dive ops in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm thinking about going with Pro Dive. If you have used the op, can you please let me know about your experience/thoughts?

Also, I'd rather go with a dive op in Fort Lauderdale instead of going out to Pompano, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Mars..

Pro Dive is a very good operator. It is true they are demanding, but I would think you would not expect anything less from a top rated operator as they are. If you're not familiar with the area, it behooves you to dive with a guide, and personally $15.00 for a DM for my buddy and I is cheap insurance.

Something else to consider; if you don't have your own tanks, you can expect to pay an additional $20.00, or $30.00 above the cost of the dive trip for tank rental $10.00 per tank of 21%, or $15.00 per tank if you want EAN.

The dive sites in Ft. Lauderdale are quite easy. However, I would suggest you avoid trips to the Tenneco Towers, or any other site that is deeper than 80 fsw, unless you feel comfortable doing deep dives. The reason why I advise against Tenneco Towers is because the currents there are somewhat unpredictable.

My personal choices in Ft. Laud are American Dream II and Pro-Dive.

Check out the thread on local dive operators and sites on the Florida Conch Divers page.

Good luck and do let us know when you're diving. Some of us might just join in.

I have used Pro Dive in Fort Lauderdale. Owning my own tanks, it's a very inexpensive trip, and I like the afternoon leave time. This gives me a chance to work in the morning, and dive in the afternoon.

They generally visit a wreck and a reef every day. Except Thursdays I believe when it's reef / reef. They usually pick a reef around Lauderdale which is on the first reef (30') deep, and on the way back from whichever wreck site you visit.

They certainly don't babysit me on my dive, they always let me dive my own profile.

I hear from a lot of people that they think it's a cattle boat, but I've never had more than 10 divers on the boat when I was going.

People say American Dream II is a good op, but I've never used them.

For beginners Scubatyme is a very nice dive op, well organized and the DM try to buddy you with someone on your own level, you get very personalized service for a cattle boat, actually I forgot it was a cattle boat, the dive master took very good care of my tanks (I had a little problem with them which he caught before the dive and fixed it when I returned back to the surface, didn't even let me know that he fixed it before the dive so I won't worry) and I felt very good about them as a dive op.

But I've heard good things about ProDive, I think they got a new owner not so long ago and he's on scubaboard, he even donated his time and efforts for one of the previous reef cleanups, sounds to me like a good dive op, I will consider diving with them when time comes.

American Dream II is the one of the best. Call ahead and order tanks, check their site for the schedule of upcoming trips. Very firendly, new, clean boat. You will not be disapointed. Here is the site:http://www.scubafortlauderdale.com/

MarsAg99:
Howdy all,

Thanks for your help!

I dive with Pro Dive when I'm diving Ft. Lauderdale. The staff is first-rate, nice big clean boat. Ft. Lauderdale diving is generally out-n-back (anchor, jump in, swim around, find your way back to the boat), and I've generally been put in a group with a dive "guide", which is fine, because I usually have trouble finding my way back on reef dives like this.

What I don't like is the afternoon-only trips (Sometimes I like to do 2 trips a day), the sometimes crowded boat, and the "grouping" of divers.

Truthfully, since discovering Drift Diving with Capt. Tony (http://www.thediversity.com) up in Boca Raton, I'd rather drive up there for a day full of diving than dive Ft. Lauderdale. American Dream has been recommended to me, and I might give them a try the next time I'm in FLL (they cancelled the one trip I was scheduled on because I was the only reservation).

paulwall:
Ft. Lauderdale diving is generally out-n-back (anchor, jump in, swim around, find your way back to the boat)

There IS drift diving in Ft. Lauderdale. You have only been to the "first reef"

Lauderdale has 3 reefs, one at 30' deep (little current - usually out and back type dives) and 2 other reefs running parallel to the first. They are at 60' and 90' deep. The deeper reefs are drift dives, and you just need to check if any ops are running out there.

Most of the Lauderdale ops have their schedule well in advance, and you can pick and choose.

Personally, I drive up to Boynton Beach a lot, and drift dive up there. The reef by Boynton is world class. I dive frequently with Splashdown Divers up there. They are one of the best ops running.

I dove pro dive a couple years back and found the staff to be professional enough
but I did catch them on a trip that was at capacity. There were divers lined up down both sides of the boat single file waiting to enter water. I found the number of divers
and gear scattered about to be more than what I would like. I'm sure on a ten diver
trip it would be great but if you get it when its maxed out it really is a crowd. The
American Dream is right in the neighborhood, I've not tried them yet but plan to check
them out soon.

It is true that the Pro Dive's boat can get crowded, but in retrospect, it is also a 60' boat, and a lot better distributed than some of the other boats 40+ boats that cram as many divers as Pro Dive puts on its boat on occassion (such as the catamarans at So. Fla. Diving Hq). The American Dream II is, IMHO, a little more "ergonomically friendly" boat, and to an extent, it is a bit easier to get in and out of the water.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom